Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Interesting Background On Wicca - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting Background On Wicca

#1 User is offline   AmyLong 

• ULC Seminary Director
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:12 PM

A Final essay from Frank Orr

I took this course for the same reason that I will be taking further courses from the seminary: to gain a deeper insight into the way things are. I will probably never become an active practicing Wiccan, but I now know in a deeper understanding, what is happening. The course has helped me to better direct my actions and life. I think (or hope) I will be a better person. I have always been interested in the New Age or Pagan beliefs.I think that the old ways of life have more valid effects than the modern people give them credit for.

I want to gain more knowledge about the natural healing powers that herbs and aroma therepy introduce into the human existance. My wife and I live our life with complete respect of nature and the old ways. I am trying to gain knowledge in every phase of life. I am learning along with my wife American Sign Language. I support and learn from her Reiki practice. We do our fulfillment spells trying to better our existance. I found nothing disturbing in the course I just finished. Many of the rituals that were covered in the course were very detailed and time consuming but I found them to be very interesting and they will be very useful and helpful in my life when I will need a more calming influence in my life.

I will always have the course materials to reference in the future. I also took this course because I noticed the understanding and change in my wife when she practices the old religion and through her training in the art of Reiki, in which she is a master. I want to learn more so I may become a better person.
I have been ordained through the Universal Life Church , and I post spiritual articles at ULC and at the Universal Life Church Seminary course listings. I'm also a martial artist and I teach Sacramento Martial Arts. I support the Universal Life Church Article Directory, and have blogs that contain ULC Seminary Essays and Wedding Ceremonies.

#2 Guest_Universal Spirit_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:17 PM

It is interesting that you used New Age and Paganism together.

Metaphysical is also lumped into New Age and Mysticism.

Nothing wrong with that, just interesting.

To be labeled New Age when Metaphysical teachings and based on ideas that go back to 6000+ years to the 1st religion of Hindu Sacred Scriptures, and all Sacred Scriptures afterward that had our truth. We do not hold with the worship of any idols, it is the essence of the Hindu thought that reveals many truths.

Paganism may as old or even older that Hindu, I haven't knowledge of paganism.
But still they are called New Age.

It all goes around New Age is Old Age.

I would like to learn how many common areas the Pagans and Metaphysics share.

Perhaps in reading further I shall learn.

Bless All
And So It Is
Rev Elizabeth

#3 Guest_Duke523_*

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

I like to view the term New Age for meaning of religious acceptance and tolerance, especially religions that have been proscribed to be taboo or sin, which in a lot of religions they describe old religious activities as being against the new religion. So I view these older root religions to be New Age because they have come into an age were they can be accepted alongside other religions.

Though, it is strange to call something that is or has branched off of something that has been a part of human life since the being, New Age. New Age medicine is another, umm…yeah it may be different from the scientific based western medicine, but it preceded western medicine and continues to be dominating in Africa. I really don’t see how you could call herbal treatment New Age.

I guess we have to categorize everything.

#4 Guest_divinity_*

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:57 PM

we should just call it old age

#5 Guest_godblessedrob_*

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:49 PM

Healing, herbs and aromatherapy sound like fun but what of the "spiritual" aspects of Wiccan. Why is it called a pagan religion? Does it involve calling out demons and spirits?

#6 Guest_biomanhere_*

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

There is a difference when using New Age and Old Age. I've found that a lot of New Age people are not tolerant of Wiccans who are of the Old Age traditions. Personally, I believe it is wrong to call New Age and Old Age as the same because they just are not the same. I've been a Wiccan for 28 years.

Blessed be

#7 User is offline   AmyLong 

• ULC Seminary Director
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

I think that people lump things together because it's easier. It's not correct, usually, but it's easier.

Anything that isn't mainstream religion must be New Age.

Most people are woefully ignorant about most aspects of religion.

I had a discussion with a Mormon neighbor of mine -- she converted after she met her husband. She could tell me very little about the Mormon religion. I asked various questions and she just didn't know.

I thought to myself -- then how can you call yourself a mormon if you know next to nothing about the religion?

--Amy
I have been ordained through the Universal Life Church , and I post spiritual articles at ULC and at the Universal Life Church Seminary course listings. I'm also a martial artist and I teach Sacramento Martial Arts. I support the Universal Life Church Article Directory, and have blogs that contain ULC Seminary Essays and Wedding Ceremonies.

#8 User is offline   jerry05032141 

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

To be labeled New Age when Metaphysical teachings and based on ideas that go back to 6000+ years to the 1st religion of Hindu Sacred Scriptures, and all Sacred Scriptures afterward that had our truth. We do not hold with the worship of any idols, it is the essence of the Hindu thought that reveals many truths.

#9 User is offline   Atwater Viking 

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have many interest along several path of Spirituality

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostUniversal Spirit, on 04 July 2005 - 05:17 PM, said:

....To be labeled New Age when Metaphysical teachings and based on ideas that go back to 6000+ years to the 1st religion of Hindu Sacred Scriptures, and all Sacred Scriptures afterward that had our truth. We do not hold with the worship of any idols, it is the essence of the Hindu thought that reveals many truths.

Paganism may as old or even older that Hindu, I haven't knowledge of paganism.
But still they are called New Age.

I would like to learn how many common areas the Pagans and Metaphysics share.

Bless All And So It Is Rev Elizabeth

Being a follower of the Nordic Pantheon and Pagan, perhaps I can interject a thought to help this topic out.

Two avenues of thinking come into play here. Roughly 5,000 years ago we entered a 'NEW AGE' according to some of the most ancient beliefs (Meso/Native American), and, as we know the Myan calendar comes to an end this Dec 21, 2012 entering us into the next age. So, really, any belief that has sprung up in the past 5 millennium is fair game for the term.

However, in techni-speak, that simply doesn't work. Since the resurgence of many of the "Old Ways" in the 1920-1950's and the numerous cults, churches and fellowships that have evolved from these studies, many book publishers also subscribed to this definition of "New Age" being any number of topics and beliefs put to print regarding this ancient knowledge. WE must also remember that during the 20th century, numerous archaeological discoveries have brought us much closer to understanding many areas of previously unexplored history. This is why the fellowship I belong to uses the term "Old Ways" or "Ancient Wisdom" when defining itself. This separates it from things that have popped up in the las half century that claim to enlighten us.

For the most part "New Age" merely refers to guilds, fellowships, schools, books etc and so forth that came into being during this wonderful period of enlightenment of the first half of the 20th century. Some of it well thought out and purposeful in its intent, unfortunately most of it purely guesswork and educated minds on creative journeys. Naturally the Phoenicians are credited with the first "alphabet" and writing system, but prior to that shaman of certain peoples, had a method of symbolizing the spoken word in much the same manner as the hieroglyphs of Egypt.

What has many scholars within the academic circles in a tizzy is the claim of certain guilds, (two have been in existence since before the Egyptian Pharaohs), concerning the sources of their firmly held ancient, pagan beliefs. If you are not a higher up within either of these two "Gilds", you will not be given access to the sources of the documented beginnings of this way of Life and/or the origins of their writing systems. Several of these symbolized systems evolved into what the Germanics called rûna the combined, as in sentence or rûno as in individual symbol. Most of what you will find on the internet or in scholastic works is truly "New Age", (or NA - "not applicable"- as I like to call it-) as it is the speculative assumptions of those seeking to profit from an eagerly buying public. Other than the very basic meanings of the individual runes and parts of the combined known histories of the Germanic people, little formal information exists. Tacticus, the early CE Roman historian, wrote what most academics take as being the sum of knowledge on the first century CE Germanics. His accounts of the daily life, battles and so forth are more than likely somewhat correct, after all, the victors do indeed write history, but his quaint views on the runes are, dare I say, less than adequate.

I've focused on this one small area of historical reference as it is the one area I am most familiar with. Also, being a named "Fellow" within one of these ancient organizations, I have witnessed the ancient proofs with awestruck wonder and amazement. With that said, it does bother me that things such as the runes have been lumped into this “New Age” category when it has existed longer than most other forms of formalized education.

Regardless of what term we may use, I think it should be noted that there is indeed a difference between what we call “New Age thought” and “Ancient Wisdom”. So many types of groups have been formed by, shall I say, nefarious individuals with ulterior motives towards profit, that most of what they teach should be considered academically prudent about as much as the National Enquirer should be considered a reliable news source.

Read, learn and scrutinize what is offered to you, but most of all think. There should not be anything more critical to you than your absorption of accurate information.

Blessings of Peace,
Al

PS: as for the parapsychology and metaphysics subjects THIS may be of interest to you concerning mediums and channelers. Those seeking further info regarding the runes may contact me by leaving a message here, or through the ULC Forum under "At Water Vitki"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users