Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Beliefs And Miracles - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beliefs And Miracles The question that sparked the essay

#1 User is offline   AmyLong 

• ULC Seminary Director
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:44 PM

Dear Loretta:

In a weekly sermon from Brother Daniel on Beliefs, he says:

"...I really don't want to deal with you or your situation because
unfortunately like many thousands of instant ministers they labor under the
delusion that miracles happen..."

I found the above statement to be a quite thought-provoking quagmire,
expecially after reading (and enjoying I might add) your various lessons
on the medium of miracles.

His comment made me reflect deeply on who I am and what my belief
system is. I am the vessel of 'change to prosperity' through acquiring inner
peace and understanding of the laws of the universe. I also believe in
the power of prayer, for it focuses me on the concept of 'Prosperity
Programming.' (Prosperity Programming - a term used in Shakti Gawain's
book 'Creative Visualization' that means having the understanding, or
consciously taking the point of view, that the universe is totally
abundant. Everything you need or want is here for the asking; you only need
to believe that it is so, to truly desire it, and to be willing to
accept it, in order to have whatever you wish.)

My questions to you are thus:

1. Is it our belief in miracles that makes them happen, or is it our
shift in perspective when 'miracles' happen that changes our belief
system?

2. Is it through prayers that miracles happen, or is it our belief
that through prayers miracles happen?

Your answers will help me shed some more light on not only Part II. of
Metaphysics & Miracles lessons, but to also understand more fully
Brother Daniel's comment above.

Thank you with blessings,

Mara Fonseca

"Through prayer love is received, and through miracles love is
expressed." -- A Course in Miracles
I have been ordained through the Universal Life Church , and I post spiritual articles at ULC and at the Universal Life Church Seminary course listings. I'm also a martial artist and I teach Sacramento Martial Arts. I support the Universal Life Church Article Directory, and have blogs that contain ULC Seminary Essays and Wedding Ceremonies.

#2 Guest_Angelronny_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 December 2004 - 11:35 PM

instant ministers live under the delusion of miracles? My goodness each day I awaken is a miracle. When I grab a pair of socks it's miracle. I could not believe I read that.
There are miracles every day all around us.
Wake up and smell the coffee and now thats a miracle on it's own.
Miracles are what we we see, feel and know in our hearts what is real as a miracle.
As I say, if my socks match, it's amiracle, because some have no socks at all. :D

#3 User is offline   donnab 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:40 AM

Miracles occur daily. We have just become so advanced(read jaded) that we no longer recognize them for what they are. A child is in a coma for years then suddenly awakes and is in perfect health.. a miracle? No, we say it is due to some medical advancement or another. A lame man walks.. a miracle.. no.. it is because we learned to reprogram his brain .
Simple people perceive things in a simple way. If something out of the ordinary happens for good, it is a miracle. It is no less a miracle just because we can explain it away. The very fact that we have developed a cure for so many illnesses is a miracle. If you prefer not to believe that the hand of God is in all that we do or accomplish, then you will never believe in miracles. I see a tree and thank Him for all the miracles in my life. My daughter smiles at me and I am reminded that she was a miracle.
I believe that miracles happen.. with or without prayer, because God knows what we need and gives it even without our prayers. I believe in prayers of thanks rather than prayers of request, because if we truly need it, God will have provided even before we speak.
I believe that if you perceive things as miracles, they are. However, miracles happen around us every day... and whether we see them as such or not will not alter the fact that they are there.
Donna

#4 User is offline   craigplurie 

• Icon
  • Interests:World War I Aviation and battle tactics
    World War II Aviation and Battle Tactics.
    Old Cars
    Old Movies
    Antiques
    Poetry
    Music
    Ancient Catholic Rites

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:54 PM

My children are miracles for during a tour over seas I came down with chicken pox. I was 21 years old and never had them when I was a child. I had a fever
of 105.4 degrees. The nurse thought the thermometer was broken and got another one. It read the same. They where going to take a third reading from someplace else when I asked what the deal was. To be told I should be unconcious
was not what I wanted to hear. They rushed me into a Physical therapy room
and started dumping ice on me to get my fever down. Talk about unpleasent.
After about a 1/2 hour my temp finaly broke. They had to do all kinds of tests on me because of the high fever. I was told I would never have children, due to the high fever killing off all my sperm and doing damage. It took seven years after my marriage but I know have 2 children. A boy Matthew and a girl Andrea.

Miracles? I see them every day and I am so greatful.

Be well all!!

Craig
SANCTUS, Sanctus, Sanctus, Dominus Deus Sabaoth. Pleni sunt caeli et terra gloria tua. Hosanna in excelsis. Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini. Hosanna in excelsis.

Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts. Heaven and earth are full of thy glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is he who cometh in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest.

#5 Guest_Universal Spirit_*

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

God knows no small or big, it is all the same stuff to God.

Miracles and manifesting is the base of being a metphysical; To KNOW to EMBODY the belief to set your belief into action through the Divine Law and watch it form or appear in a conscious manner is the BEST.

What is the common medium of all life, it is the ether, God is in ether. The place where the stuff is enough for everyone.

Physics is finally becoming spiritual.

Life is a miracle, fulfilling your deep desires are miracles, being cured is a miracle, awaking every day is a miracle.

Knowing the mundane as miraculous is uplifting your consciousness.

What is the purpose of life? To Create, To be, to think.

What we think is what we create.

First and foremost you have to know the truth of any situation. The situation is to be solved in recognizing the attributes of God around the Prayee. As a Spiritual Advisor you are Prayor and God will take your belief in what you know to be true about (the attributes of God Himself) the Prayee and you can manifest for others miles away. The catch is the prayee must be open to the event occurring and be willing to recognize it and accept it.

I have seen and heard of many people who reject the miracle and stay stuck in the situation due to closed minds, cold hearts, and defeatism.

You CAN and DO make miracles in your life everyday. You CAN and DO make miracles in others life everyday. Just look around, open your eyes, open your heart.
"For you shall do these things and even greater than these."

Bless All
And So It Is
Rev Elizabeth

;)

#6 User is offline   peanuttiny 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Interests:I like to play games on Pogo.com and on the computer I like to play the sims and the sims 2. I do some crafts, I enjoy riding with my hubby on his motor cycle.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:10 PM

There are miracles everyday, some might be great big ones, and others might be very small. there are also some that we might not even see.

Miracles are happening every second of everyday.

And i do beleive in Miracles.

#7 Guest_LadyCharia_*

Post icon  Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

I can relate to the children miracle. I was told I would never have children because of all my scar tissue. 3 doctors told me the same thing. I have two wonderful miracle children; Amber & Shaun.

My daughter was told she might never have children. I told her she was a miracle, not to lose hope. She is now going to have her own miracle. This will our first grand child.

Miracles come in all sorts of ways, we just need to look around and you can see them.

#8 Guest_divinity_*

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:29 AM

WE are the miracle!

#9 Guest_atkenos_*

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

:thmup:

Miracles, true miracles, are about making the impossible possible.

They come from God and are not about my daughter cleaning up her messy messy
messy room.

Miracles are occasions such as when doctors agree that a person will die and yet they
recover. With some their cancer, tumour... disappears all together

That is a miracle

#10 User is offline   j.j.salt 

• Icon
  • Interests:Applied practical theology; all the sciences; camping, hiking, nature photography; cultivation of transcendent experience; writing prose and poetry; reading, particularly non-fiction; electronics and amateur radio; almost anything in any body of water (swimming, boating, body surfing, fishing); solving the mysteries of the interface between mind and body.

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

Every day I am sober is a miracle, because I had a serious case of alcoholism and had completely lost the power to remain sober on my own. But on June 3, 1989, when I became serious about my powerlessness, and asked the God of my understanding to take the craving for alcohol from me, it was taken.

I might note that I am a clinical psychologist with over 25 years of clinical experience, and I know that my case was quite hopeless. When I see other cases of recovery in people with as serious a case of addictive disease as mine, I know that these, too, have been miracles. In virtually none of these cases can I find any behavioral, psychological, or psychiatric reason why recovery occurred when it did. In my case, I know that the only thing necessary for the miracle to occur was for me to get out of God's way.

Most people think of miracles as something supernatural. I don't disagree, but I don't know what "supernatural" means. God is as natural as anything. Spirit is completely natural. When things defy the laws of nature as we know them, we think this means a miracle has occurred. I think it simply means we don't understand the laws of nature as well as we think we do.

If Moses led his people to the Red Sea, and it parted because God told it to, then people think that means it was a "miracle." I would say that if Moses walked up to the Red Sea, and God didn't do anything, and the Red Sea just happened to part, at that moment, by some natural process, entirely coincidentally with Moses leading his people there, then that was even more incredibly a miracle!

Belief, I believe, is not necessary for miracles to occur, although as I said we often need to get out of the way--that is, to give up control over a situation and turn it over. But belief is necessary for us to see the miracles. Without belief, without transcendent experience, all we see is coincidence, which is something that does not exist.

In Unity,
j.j.salt

#11 User is offline   peanuttiny 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Interests:I like to play games on Pogo.com and on the computer I like to play the sims and the sims 2. I do some crafts, I enjoy riding with my hubby on his motor cycle.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:55 AM

Amy I agree with you

#12 Guest_godblessedrob_*

Post icon  Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:55 PM

Miracles happen because of God. Faith is the channel that is used in order to contact God and request the healing to happen. Just remember that nothin happens without God's permission.

#13 Guest_buddhatech_*

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

What is required for something to be a miracle?

How is one thing not a miracle when other things are? Is there a litmus test?

#14 Guest_Rev. Ken_*

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:10 AM

buddhatech, on Jul 25 2005, 12:25 PM, said:

What is required for something to be a miracle?

How is one thing not a miracle when other things are? Is there a litmus test?

Faith?

#15 User is offline   j.j.salt 

• Icon
  • Interests:Applied practical theology; all the sciences; camping, hiking, nature photography; cultivation of transcendent experience; writing prose and poetry; reading, particularly non-fiction; electronics and amateur radio; almost anything in any body of water (swimming, boating, body surfing, fishing); solving the mysteries of the interface between mind and body.

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:50 AM

Warm Greetings, All,

I believe the best definition of "miracle" I have ever heard is one that is found in the work, A Course In Miracles." (If you haven't had the time to become familiar with that work, by all means do so ASAP!) There, a miracle is defined as that radical transformation of consciousness that is brought about by the entry of love. Viewed in this way, a miracle is not defined by the event itself, but by the effect of the event upon the beholder.

In this way, my recovery from alcoholism is, as I have been maintaining for 16 years, a miracle. I originally classified it as such because my case was hopeless, and I was powerless over alcohol, and despite this, recovery occurred. I still believe that to be true, but now I see that the real miracle was that my recovery enabled love to radically transform my consciousness, from a self-centered, pleasure-seeking, deceitful, manipulative SOB into a God-centered, serenity-seeking, honest, open, and even somewhat humble human being.

In Unity,
j.j.salt

Glad to be here!!

#16 Guest_NinRose_*

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

I think the fact that we even came into being in the first place is a miracle. The eco system is a miracle. The way life sustains itself is a miracle. Most people take things for granted, and simply don't see the miracle behind them.

#17 User is offline   rev mark 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

some people believe in miracles and some don't.either way,i think nothing is going to happen in our lives unless we make it happen.how we accomplish this is up to us.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users