Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Tip For Asking For Help, - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tip For Asking For Help, what information to include

#1 User is offline   Josh 

• Vice President, Murphzlaw1 Inc.
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:If you have any questions, just ask me. I am pretty open.

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

******This mini article is courtesy of Rev Rex*******

Here is a helpful tip that *can* help you get help faster, to fix computer problems. When asking for help, include:

*The version of Windows you are using
*HD size
*amount of RAM
*description of what is happening, with particulars (i.e.; if you are having trouble with a printer, what kind and model of printer are you using, having trouble with downloading, what browser and version are you using and which ISP, and so forth)
*anything new done to the system; new software added, changes in hardware, and so forth.
*anything else that you think might have a bearing on the problem.
*exact wording of any message, if there is an error.

Not all of this information may be needed in every instance. But if you include it initially, it saves someone from needing to ask you for that information if it IS needed. Also, sometimes it is the smallest bit of information that contains the key to the problem and possible solution. If you don't know all of this information, include what information you can include. It will save you time in the long run and help others that want to help you.

This is true here, on different forums, and for technical supports for programs and hardware. There is seldom such a thing as too much information...we can weed through it.

Oh, and one last thing. If you call support, please be curteous. Support technicians are there to help you, and they have one of the most stressful jobs that there is. Most will be well aware that you are frustrated, but there is no reason to cuss, yell, scream, threaten, or be rude. Take a moment to think of this; if YOU were the tech and someone was calling you for help, would you try harder to help that person if they followed instructions, were curteous, and at least tried, or would you try harder if they yelled at you and threatened you? (As you may be able to tell, I have done that work and have a great deal of respect for computer technicians. It is a hard, usually thankless job.)
It can't rain all the time"--the crow
"In this world their can be no black or white, merely shades of gray"--me
"visit group site and my personal site"

Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users