Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: What Religion Do You Represent? - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Religion Do You Represent? Who are the people in our neighborhood?

#1 Guest_ManyLeavesOneRoot_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:20 AM

I am curious as to what representation of "Other Religious Beliefs" are in our group of ULC members.

I am a Unitarian Universalist who accepts, welcomes and embraces all religions. We all have our paths to follow.

How about you?
Share a bit of your belief if you feel comfortable.

#2 Guest_godblessedrob_*

Post icon  Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:08 PM

I consider myself a Christian. I don't follow any particular religion since most of them create division amongst belivers.
I attend most Christian services regardless what their denomination might be.
The Word of God is my manual as to how to live my life. I love to share the message with others that are willing to listen. I don't like to push religion but to give love. Currently I have a mission to spread The Gospel of John by giving this book of The Bible to people who want it. Judging is not my job, in me you will always find a sympathetic ear. God bless you all.

#3 User is offline   rogerdoct 

• Budog the Buddhist Dude
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Family, Buddhism, Meditation, Recovery, Skateboarding, Camping, Jeep Fourwheeling, Scuba Diving, Stained Glass,

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

:P I'd have to classify myself as a Unitarian Universalist... I find wisdom and value in all faiths. I really can't bring myself to follow one path or to be a zealot. Roger "Doc". B)

:beer:
The Budog Dude Abides...

The Budog Dude's Buddhist Blog.

#4 User is offline   j.j.salt 

• Icon
  • Interests:Applied practical theology; all the sciences; camping, hiking, nature photography; cultivation of transcendent experience; writing prose and poetry; reading, particularly non-fiction; electronics and amateur radio; almost anything in any body of water (swimming, boating, body surfing, fishing); solving the mysteries of the interface between mind and body.

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:28 PM

Warm Greetings, All,

I'd have to say I am a Buddhist Hindu Christian Gnostic Pantheist, with Wiccan and Native American overtones, and a little spice of Judaism.

Perhaps it is better to say I am in a Church of One, as an old friend once described to me.

In Unity,
j.j.salt

#5 Guest_Rev. Ken_*

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:05 AM

Walking the path of traditional (old school) native american teachings I cannot really say I follow a religion. It is quite simply a way to live ones life in a good and connected way.

In todays era of downsizing and multitasking it has also penetrated the traditional aspects of some native communities. A new concept is slowly emerging in the areas of spirituality and being a warrior.

In the old ways one most often could not be a spiritual leader and a warrior at the same time. A spiritual leader was not allowed the undertakings of a warrior nor could a warrior (due to his sometomes necessary measures) be allowed to be a spiritual leader. Not to say a warrior could not be connected to the Great Spirit as most were devoutely so. This would be very similar to a Chaplain being involved in hand to hand combat at the front line then going back and preaching thou shalt not kill. To avoid hypocracy the two were seperated.

Today as traditional spiritual leaders are growing fewer and fewer and the same with the traditional warriors it is becoming more common (still at a snails pace) for one person to be allowed to do both. As the warrior today connotates more of a passive resistance stance we may be allowed to be on a highly regarded spiritual level within the community as well as be considered a warrior (meaning being allowed to stand up against the injustices for our people) in a more modern warrior way.

A new term for this type of person is gaining slow but positive acknowledgement and acceptance in native communities today. The term is "Spiritual Warrior".

#6 User is offline   Rabbi K.Boaz 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Interests:Comparative religion, militaria, history, travel

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

I am a Universalist with Judeo-Christian leanings. At the present time, I am concentrating on my Jewish genes. There has also been an occult thread in the family.
Shalom,
Rabbi K. Boaz

#7 Guest_Zeligg_*

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:52 PM

I am Wiccan. I was UU for many years, graduated and then taught youth school at the 1st Unitarian Church of Brooklyn (If anyone ever makes it to Brooklyn, go visit the church; it is a beautiful piece of history). I find many "non-denoms" and especially many pagans attend UU services, probably because they are some of the least judgemental group of people in the world.

Anyway, I didn't reply to write all that, I really just wanted to say how much I love your name.

#8 User is offline   Samadhi 

• Icon

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:40 AM

I consider myself a disciple of the Buddha's teachings. I don't align myself with any one school. I am definitely a salad bar Buddhist. I take what I like from certain schools and practice it. Too many schools are influenced by the culture they developed in and have added elements of practice and teachings that the Buddha himself did not teach.

#9 Guest_AZCowgirl_*

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

I am a witch with Christian, Buddhist and Pagan leanings. I know it's an odd combination but I take what feels right to me and leave the rest along the side of the path...maybe to pick up later or maybe to walk away from.

#10 Guest_humanistminister_*

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

I am a dyed-in-the-wool, show-me-the-money fervid and dedicated agnostic, not because I'm unable to commit one way or the other but because it doesn't matter whether there is or there isn't.

#11 User is offline   rogerdoct 

• Budog the Buddhist Dude
  • Icon
  • Interests:Family, Buddhism, Meditation, Recovery, Skateboarding, Camping, Jeep Fourwheeling, Scuba Diving, Stained Glass,

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

[quote name='rogerdoct' date='Jul 23 2005, 08:04 AM' post='10239']
:P I'd have to classify myself as a Unitarian Universalist... I find wisdom and value in all faiths. I really can't bring myself to follow one path or to be a zealot. Roger "Doc". B)

[quote]

After struggling with this question for some time now, I still feel I fit into the UU mold, but after reading and studying, I'd have to label myself as an "Ecclectic Gnostic..." :coffee:

Roger "Doc". B)
The Budog Dude Abides...

The Budog Dude's Buddhist Blog.

#12 Guest_Reverend Denbow_*

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

I'd have to say I'm a pantheist who would like to study and practice Druidism if I had the time.
I have only one major belief: That God is just as comfortable in a forest as he is in a church, and that is where I feel peace and holiness.

#13 Guest_Clueless Git_*

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

What Religion Do You Represent?

Well, I like to think that I represent buddhism.

Somehow I doubt that buddhism would like to think that it represents me.

#14 User is offline   Josh 

• Vice President, Murphzlaw1 Inc.
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:If you have any questions, just ask me. I am pretty open.

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

and here i thought veggism was a religion... :P
It can't rain all the time"--the crow
"In this world their can be no black or white, merely shades of gray"--me
"visit group site and my personal site"

Posted Image

#15 Guest_Steve Williamson_*

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

I was raised a nondenominational fundamental Christian. Today, I would like to think I represent a nondenominational Christian teachings without the fundamental overtones. I have tried to find truth where ever I can, and have found that the truth I was taught as a child can be found in many places and is not just to be had from the fundamental Christian point of view.

I used to joke that I was a Second Day Opportunist. Perhaps that is not far from the truth.

#16 Guest_Clueless Git_*

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

View PostJDCUSAF, on Apr 20 2006, 12:46 AM, said:

and here i thought veggism was a religion... :P

I suppose that refraining from intentional killing could be it's dogma and that life could be it's god.

Equaly meat murder would be a religion; the dogma being three times daily sacrificing the lives of the innocent and defenceless to the god of self?

I just brought new tee-shirt, btw. It has a picture of a clock spring on the front with the words 'just wind me up and watch me go ..'

:kick:

#17 User is offline   rev mark 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

somebody baited git with that one.

like git i don't think the worlds buddhists would want me as a representive.and since i don't see buddhism as a religion,i follow the theravada school of thought,with taoist influences.

#18 User is offline   Rich G. 

• Practicing Zen Buddhist / Promoter of Peace, Love, and Harmony
  • Icon

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

View PostSamadhi, on Nov 26 2005, 12:40 AM, said:

I consider myself a disciple of the Buddha's teachings. I don't align myself with any one school. I am definitely a salad bar Buddhist. I take what I like from certain schools and practice it. Too many schools are influenced by the culture they developed in and have added elements of practice and teachings that the Buddha himself did not teach.

I love the "salad bar Buddhist" thing. I'll have to remember that. :)

Buddha himself did state: "Do not accept anything I have said as true simply because I have said it. Instead, test it as you would gold to see if it is genuine or not. If, after examining my teachings, you find that they are true, put them into practice. But do not do so simply out of respect for me."

That being said, I will also declare myself a "salad bar Buddhist" (more of a blend of Korean Zen/Tibetan Buddhism, really) with some Hindu, Native American, Wiccan, Asatru, and Christian overtones. More like 90% Buddhist, 10% everything else.

- Rich

#19 Guest_Clueless Git_*

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

someone mentioned salad?

#20 Guest_revpo_*

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

BELIEFS.....PANTHEIST and ASATRU, since my conclusion is monotheism causes wars, civil unrest, turn toward the path of old beliefs away from leaders, dogma, and gloom and doom of evil etc.

revpo :biggrinthumb:

#21 Guest_Pastor Bryan_*

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Bryan and I find this to be a very interesting topic.

I, myself hold to the Christian faith and specfically the Baptist denomination. My beliefs are best summed up by the famous verse of scripture, John 3:16.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish but have everlasting life."

This is the main focus of the messages that I preach. I am not the type to pressure people into agreeing with me. I believe firmly in religious freedom. I believe that everyone needs to make up their own mind.
But, I personally believe that faith in Jesus Christ is the answer for the world today.

I guess that qualifies me for the category of "other religions" on this forum. I know there is a Christian discussion group, but not specifically a Baptist discussion group. And that's fine with me. What fun is a discussion group where everybody believes the same thing. I enjoy reading and learning about our differences. I always tell the people in my church that it is possible to "disagree" without being "disagreeable"

#22 Guest_Rev. Shannon_*

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

I have recently decided that I must be Unitarian Univesalist because they are so accepting of all walks and I just am really not sure that I have a particular religion any more. I was born into a protestant family, and converted to Catholism when I was 18, and then like so many others slipped away from all chuch. So being here and learning all that I can, really has been changing a lot of my views. So to make a very long post ended.... I think that I am UU! I think! :D

#23 Guest_loststar_moonstar_*

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:49 PM

I walk the path ways of my Ancesters.I live ,work,and worship the Native American way.

When I teach people the path of their Ancesters,I try to teach them the way of that tribe,then send them to someone else to learn the ceremonies of that tribe.My husband and I walk the red road,according to White Buffaloo Calf Woman and other ways of the Lakota People.

We believe that tolerance of others religons and beliefs will bring peace.

#24 Guest_Judge_*

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:51 PM

What Religion Do You Represent?

Interesting question, since the fact that the term religion now has such a negative connotation to it. In my study of World Religions throughout my life I have found that all great teacher of Spirituality from Jesus to Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha), from Zarathushtra (Zoroaster) to the great spiritual leaders of the people of Hopi (Hopituh Sinom), from Charles Taze Russel (Jehovah's Witnesses) to Martin Luther and so on and so on, that all share a common thread in their teachings. Love, Tolerance, Peace, Goodness and Spirituality.

<h3 id="siteSub">From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</h3> Religion is a human phenomenon that defies easy definition. It is commonly understood as a group of beliefs or attitudes concerning an object (real or imagined), person (real or imagined), or system of thought considered to be supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the moral codes, practices, values, institutions, and rituals associated with such belief or system of thought. It is sometimes used interchangeably with "faith" or "belief system"[1] In the course of the development of religion, it has taken many forms in various cultures and individuals.

Occasionally, the word "religion" is used in the more restrictive sense of "organized religion"

#25 User is offline   Traveler 

• Reverend (and "Devil's Advocate")
  • Icon
  • Interests:libertarianism, physical exercise/activity, Doctor Who, writing, philosophy, poker, digital video, Malta, books, practical living, history, strategy games, Pepsi products

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:20 PM

I am of no fixed religious-denominational abode.
Born into Protestantism.
Studied Catholicism, Islam, Hinduism and Judaism, too.
Found out about Gnosticism, Paganism, Wicca, Deism and others on the way.
Studied them, too.
Still studying all of them.
At the same time as all that I've studied and still study philosophy and theoretical physics.
Studying Humanism, too.
I attend Catholic, Episcopal, Baptist, Hindu, Unitarian Universalist, and Jewish worship services. Of course I rotate between. I can't be at them all at once. I haven't gone to the (relatively) mosque since 2002 because my going unsettled some. Sad, but given the current environment... Alas.

All I know for sure, really, is that there is a God, and I'm not Him.

Hi, all. :)
All I know for sure is there is a God and I'm not It/Him/Her/Them/Us, not in any singular superlative sense anyway.

#26 Guest_Judge_*

Posted 18 July 2006 - 07:30 AM

Oh my, I like you! You sound like me on Saturday and Sunday LOL. It is good to know what is out there. Keep up the good work and stay with the forum and seminary, love your comments.

#27 Guest_Pegasuss_*

Posted 18 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

I have no religion, I only represent myself in my dealings with others. I alone am responsible
for my actions and words. I believe in giving the best that I can to others at all times and to
not cause others harm. I do believe that whatever makes us "us" is quite possibly not finite
and will exist forever, in what nature and manner, I cannot know at this time.

#28 User is offline   Nan 

• Icon
  • Interests:Seminary studies, crafts, family, cooking, gardening and just watching. To watch is to learn.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

Dedicated Animist

Every living thing has a spirit, spark, soul if you will. Celtic Christianity is close, Druidism, or Gnosticism, perhaps a small dose of Catharism? Wicca is a wonderful religion/philosophy, but I can't seem to find Pantheism. God is with us, and I know that is so when I look at the rings of a tree, having heard it groan as it fell. I have stood by deathbeds, and seen the life leave the body on many occasions. I have been privilege to births, and seen the new spirits arrive. New shoots in the garden unfurl with beauty and grace. Yes, I know within that spark, or the departure of a spirit, I see truth in and of The Spirit. I stand under the trees, looking into the dark night stars and feel the moons light like gentle arms around me.
The Spirit is with the living, in the living. Life is to be cherished, revered and shared.

My foster parent is a Zuni Two Spirit, I was born Catholic, raised Southern Baptist. I married a Church of Christ man, and later after being widowed, married a Methodist. My brother is a devout Pagan, one daughter is on the Goddess Path, one son is agnostic and another is Methodist. My eldest son is also a ULC minister, and my youngest daughter isn't spiritual. (yes - 5 kids)

I have been an associate of The Church of Iona, and am now a ULC minister and seminary student. I am also an affiliate member of The International Chaplain's Association. When taking the quiz "what belief are you?" on Belief Net, I am supposed to be a Quaker. Hmm, go figure. I fit here with ULC, and believe that we all have the right to believe as we will. I am Christian, but certainly not the "normal" sort. More like the VERY old fashioned kind. We have weekly gatherings in my home, and really enjoy it. We share a meal, talk, and we do what we feel we should do. (I guess that's the Quaker part :rolleyes: )
The Disciples met in one another's homes, and broke bread together. I like that part.
Good luck in your Seeking.
Blessings!
Live simply so others may simply live.

#29 Guest_veganwarrior_*

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

I am a theistic Satanist with demonlatry leanings. I am doing a relgious studies course here in Scotland with "The open University" I am wanting to sign up for some ULC semminary course though.

#30 User is offline   Mark-Oklahoma 

• Icon
  • Interests:music, art, Eastern Orthodox, Old Catholic Church, Esoteric studies, Zen Buddhism, meditation, spirituality, farming, gardening, country living, helping others on their path.

Post icon  Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

I am a Gnostic Christian currently in Holy Orders with the Eastern Orthodox church. I also am in my first year novitiate with the White Robed monks of St. Benedict.

I grew up Baptist, we changed to Lutheran around age 10, and my sister and I become Roman Catholic around 18.

We were raised with my mother's free spirit who was into astrology, Myths about Atlantis and Mu, and avid reader of Edgar Cayce. So were around comparative religious thoughts and open minded conversations.

Through the years I have been dismayed at mainstream religion, for they seemed to just get to a point of awareness and venture no more.

As I recently heard from a theologian, we don't put all our thoughts in one basket, why would God? I feel all religions has an esoteric side with truth that can help us get in touch with Divine within ourselves. That is our life mission I do believe.

That basically is where I am coming from.
Meditation is the portal to communicating with God!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users