Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: A Not So Quick Bit Of Insight - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Not So Quick Bit Of Insight

#1 User is offline   Reverend Charles 

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

Brothers and Sisters,

I have been recently involved in organizing my local church and ministry, of which trust me there is multitudes of paperwork. During the course of my research and during the course of time, there is something that is asked of us time and again within this forum as well as misinformation peddled about through numerous other forums and q&a sections of many mistaken individuals and unenlightened groups whom, for the most part mean well however in their small way bring dishonor to this wonderful place and the wonderful lessons and degree's which can be found here at the seminary.

The first thing I would like to address is something that has been hit upon time and again, the Honorary or honoris causa, Degree's and the misinformation spread about them. To begin with, a Honorary degree has been around for quite sometime longer then most would imagine. Benjamin Franklin himself held many Honorary Degree's, and quite often referred to himself as Doctor Benjamin Franklin. However, after consulting with local legal representation, as well as federal representation, the following information handily available at wikipedia was correct.

Practical Use of Honorary Degree's:

Recipients of an honorary doctorate may if they wish adopt the title of "doctor". In many countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States, it is now a matter of personal preference should an honorary doctor use the formal title of "doctor", regardless of the background circumstances for the award. Written communications where an honorary doctorate has been awarded may include the letters h.c. after the award to indicate the status.

As those countries, with the exception of the U.K., do not hold what is considered "Higher Doctorates", such is as it is. Also note, that the information states the written communication MAY include, not that such is required, to use the letters h.c. to indicate such is honorary.

Now before we get into the wonderful debate about yes but Honorary Degree's must come from an accredited school, this is also a misnomer. Let us use the following from the same cited wiki page.

Similarly a jure dignitatis degree is one awarded to someone who has demonstrated their eminence and scholarship by being appointed to a particular office. Thus, for example, a D.D. (Doctor of Divinity) might be conferred upon a bishop on the occasion of their consecration, or a judge created LL.D. (Legum Doctor) or D.C.L. (Doctor of Civil Law) upon their appointment to the bench. These, also, are properly considered substantive rather than honorary degrees.

Churches have had a very long standing right to confer Degree's upon their membership, as far back as the Archbishop of Canterbury:

These 'Lambeth degrees' are sometimes, erroneously, thought to be honorary; however the Archbishop has for many centuries had the legal authority (originally as the representative of the Pope, later confirmed by a 1533 Act of Henry VIII), to award degrees, and regularly does so to individuals who have either passed an examination or are deemed to have satisfied the appropriate requirements.

The main understanding that I am getting to is that, there is always arguments that someone who has an honorary degree may not use the entitlement that comes with that degree, and this is utterly false, one can by legal rights use these titles as long as one does not misrepresent what the degree is in, so a Doctorate of Divinity, and you call yourself Doctor John/Jane Doe, when asked one must let it be known they are a doctor of divinity, hence they would not do surgery on someone etc...

Next to be covered the wonderful world of accreditation for the school from which we learn here at the seminary. First, I wish to thank our Honorable leader Amy, in the fact she made the choice to not seek accreditation from many places, look it up, there are hundreds literally of accrediting agencies and so forth from which a school could choose to be accredited by for their school. Yet, if you continue to look, they all say they are the best etc... The thing to keep in mind here is the fact that such as with let's say ITT Tech, ever really watch their commercials? They state not all if any of their credit hours will transfer to any other college or university. This is the same with many of the advertised online colleges and universities, the only place they will transfer to is their own universities or colleges, Hence their accreditation, is not any more solid then our own here at the seminary, other than the solidity of perceived acceptance.

I will let you do your own research in this, and will continue this as I continue my own research into the starting of my ministry and church locally, I just thought many here would appreciate the truth in these matters.

Humbly,
Rev. Charles Goings

#2 User is offline   AmyLong 

• ULC Seminary Director
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

The other thing to note is that a lot of places claim accredidation,but if you look deeper, you will find that the institution accrediting them is another branch of their own office.

I found that with a lot of places. They formed their own agency, then accredited themselves.

I suppose I could do that too, but since nobody would accept the credits for transfer, it would be a pointless exercise.

I didn't know that about ITT Tech. Interesting. Thanks for looking into that and sharing it.

--Amy
I have been ordained through the Universal Life Church , and I post spiritual articles at ULC and at the Universal Life Church Seminary course listings. I'm also a martial artist and I teach Sacramento Martial Arts. I support the Universal Life Church Article Directory, and have blogs that contain ULC Seminary Essays and Wedding Ceremonies.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic