Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Questions Regarding School Status - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions Regarding School Status

#1 User is offline   GoodWorks 

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

Hello everyone. I'm a nuub here even though I've been a minister for many years (since all the sites were one (ulc.org)). I was looking back to further my education, and came across the Master and Doctor degrees of the various websites. To start... I've read the DD is an honorary degree, as is the Doctor of Metaphysics. Which of these degrees are not honorary? Or, must you complete the seminary (40 credit hours) to get a degree that is not honorary (ie, the Master of Ministry isn't honorary because you had to take classes to earn it). I'm asking this because on ULC.net, you can get a PhD in Religion (which I guess makes you an honorary PhD), but, from what I'm reading, the Seminary is the only real school, so, is the Seminary the only one who can grant non-honorary degrees? Thanks for your guy's help.

#2 User is offline   Josh 

• Vice President, Murphzlaw1 Inc.
  • Icon
  • Interests:If you have any questions, just ask me. I am pretty open.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

The degrees on ulc.net (as well as on ulchq.com) vary a bit. Some are honorary and some are "earned". Basically the way to tell is if you have to take a test and send it back in, its earned. All the degrees here at the seminary are "earned" degrees except the DD.
It can't rain all the time"--the crow
"In this world their can be no black or white, merely shades of gray"--me
"visit group site and my personal site"

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   GoodWorks 

• Icon

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

View PostJosh, on Apr 26 2009, 07:09 PM, said:

The degrees on ulc.net (as well as on ulchq.com) vary a bit. Some are honorary and some are "earned". Basically the way to tell is if you have to take a test and send it back in, its earned. All the degrees here at the seminary are "earned" degrees except the DD.

So I guess I'm kind of confused. My understanding was that each of the courses gives you an honorary degree (Dr. of Spiritual Awareness etc), and you took enough of these courses, you "earned" a non-honorary Masters of Ministry degree. The reason being, I don't quite follow how you would earn several doctorate and masters degrees before finally getting a Master's degree (Masters of Ministry). Seems kinda backward. I'm not trying to be critical, I just want to make sure that's how it really works is all. Also, for the record, these are actual degrees and not just certificates, right? I've read on message boards on other websites that their degrees (even ones that take tests) are often just certificates that bestow honorary degrees, the reason for that being that in order to get a master's degree/ doctorate degree, one has to publish a thesis. That's what drew me to the Seminary... that you publish your essays on the website so they can be viewed by your peers. To me, that is the difference, but again, I don't know the specifics on the laws.

#4 User is offline   Josh 

• Vice President, Murphzlaw1 Inc.
  • Icon
  • Interests:If you have any questions, just ask me. I am pretty open.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

Each course/degree track requires a thesis. The Master of Min and Doctor of Min are earned degrees the recognize vast learning in mulitiple area's rather then the more specialized degrees of the specific tracks.
It can't rain all the time"--the crow
"In this world their can be no black or white, merely shades of gray"--me
"visit group site and my personal site"

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   GoodWorks 

• Icon

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

Got ya -- thanks for explaining. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic