Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Lesson 3 - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lesson 3 Altar Tools

#1 User is offline   dsurvivor 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

This was an excellent lesson. I learned a lot! I like the statement about the tools in that "they don't actually do anything. They are simply objects." It is the bearer of the tool that has the power. They are "attention-getters" - they bring focus. It is focusing the power that is so important to working in the spiritual realm.

The dressing (or undressing) that also helps. [I am not going to go 'skyclad'.] I can see the use of robes, jewelry, and other apparael in bringing a mood to a ceremony. This is much like the shamans, druids, and Catholic priests who wear their apparel so that others invoved can also "get into the mood."

The tools all make sense in their representation. Many religions use similar tools. I think of the communion cup of the Christian is similar to the Chalice of the Wiccan. The knife (or dagger) and the sword also symbolize power. In know in some Muslim cultures, the gift of a knife to a boy at a certain age is customary as a sign of passage. Several Muslim flags have on them a symbol of a sword. The legen of King Arthur pulling a sword from a stone is probably influenced from a druid source.

The journal was an interesting topic in this lesson. I like the idea that the practitioner is constantly learning, grow, and keeping a record of thoughts, ideas and discoveries. :thumbsup:

#2 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

Greetings, dsurvivor,

You picked up on a crucial point about the tools - they are merely tools. There are some in the "Craft" who feel that they cannpt function without tools, but tools do not the practicioner make. I think that the author of this course did a superb job of pointing out these important features

Yours in the Way,

JP :coffee:
JP

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic