Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Lesson #3 - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lesson #3 Altar Tools

#1 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:49 AM

Greetings!

After a long period of silence, I am glad to be back. I really enjoy the way this course is presented. While Lord Starhawk describes a number of tools and their usages, as well as what can be found on one's altar, he is his usual down-to-earth self - how refreshing! For myself, I have a number of altars, each dedicated to a different deity or different purpose. For example, my main altar has five candles and a mirror and that is it. I think there is value in reflection (no pun intended) during ritual and this simple set up works well for me. One candle for the Goddess, one for the God, one for the Sun, one for the Moon, and one for the Hearth
Other altars are dedicated to Lugh, Fand, and Ogma/Ogmois. Each of these have practical usages and when I am doing something on a larger scale, all are used
I especially liked Lord Starhawk's comment about the real purpose of tools. There are many in the Movement that feel that without the tools, one cannot do a thing. :no!: I beg to differ - our distant ancestors (and I do mean very distant) had only themselves and they were able to accomplish what needed to be done

Yours in the Way,

JP :coffee:
JP

#2 User is offline   sabrinarhiannon 

• Icon

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

I am so glad that people are starting to take an interest in this course again. My altar is a large, round, black table in my backyard. It's relatively private but I am sure that the occasional neighbor has probably seen or heard more than they wanted too and I really don't care. I live in a primarily Mormon neighborhood and they already think I am nuts so :P to them.

I can't leacve my alter set up all the time because of our weather. We live in an area where the wind blows almost nonstop. So, I have a special cabinet for all of my tools and things and take it all outdoors with me when I am casting a spell. I will admit I am not the most "active" for lack of a better word, Wiccan. I mostly use the power of spell when I really feel it is needed.

I've incense in the East for Air, A red Candle in the South for Fire, (both of which are almost impossible to keep lit) A Small Cauldron of water in the West, Salt in the North for Earth. Also Northbound are a God And Goddess Candle. I choose to use an athame rather than a wand. I don't know why but I relate more to the metals than to wood. It feels more grounding to me. sometimes, I'll do a smaller set up on my kitchen table.

I took Lord Starwalker's version of this course. Now, I understand that it has been re-written??? Is it significantly different?

Sabrina

#3 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Post icon  Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

Greetings, Sabrinarhiannon,

Rewritten? I knew nothing about this - as far as I know, this is still his course. May I ask where you heard this?

Yours in the Way,

JP :coffee:
JP

#4 User is offline   sabrinarhiannon 

• Icon

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

I'll double check with Amy, but I knew, as far as Lord Starwalker was concerned, the course lived on in his memory. It seem right as I was finishing the course, there was an email sent to me that the Wicca course would be undergoing some changes. I think it's been rewritten by Daven, but perhaps I am wrong. I will ask Amy.

#5 User is offline   sabrinarhiannon 

• Icon

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

i emailed Amy and she got back to me. The way I understand it is that Daven wrote a good chunk of the course and that Lord Starwalker used it. In a round about way, so of a joint project even though they didn't work on it together directly.

Sabrina Rhiannon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic