Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Lesson 14 - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lesson 14 Monasticism Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lake 

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Helping others, is my primary goal, secondary helping myself. Have my Doctorate of Divinity, Doctorate of Philosophy in religion and Doctorate of Religious Humanities

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

1) People chose Monastics during the Roman empire for life of self denial and spiritual contempliations. It began 4 A.D. and it is still an important element in the Roman Catholic church today.

2) Differences between Eastern monasticism and Western monasticism is about belief of communal life ( East); whereas( West) believed in a warm structure on work and devotion.

3) Postive contributions of monasticism: farming methods, made roads, improved seeds and breed livestock. Negative: Celibacy was expected and another standard for ordinary person.

#2 User is offline   William 

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

1. Because of a moral degragation in Roman Society.

2. Eastern Monasticism was the beginning under Anthony. It was not a well developed practice leading to individual assessment often looney behavior was evident. Western Monasticism was formulated and organized leading to monastic behavior seen today.

3. Monastic organizations worked with societies to protect the written works of Christianity and public documentation along with assisting societies in social development endeavors such as, road construction and building projects. Because of their philanthropic behavior money was always a concern and led to corruption and greed in some sects of Monastic culture.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic