Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Helplessness - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Helplessness Searching for words of wisdom

#1 User is offline   Chaplian 

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Nature/Wildlife<br />Great video games

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

I find myself discussing topics with enviromental minded persons and witnessing their well traveled roads to frustration, sense of loss, and disempowerment. Often is heard, "I wish someone would do something about it."

Has anyone experienced this before? If you have, what was your avenue of self empowerment?

Thanks

#2 Guest_Steve Williamson_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

View PostChaplian, on Feb 12 2007, 12:53 PM, said:

I find myself discussing topics with enviromental minded persons and witnessing their well traveled roads to frustration, sense of loss, and disempowerment. Often is heard, "I wish someone would do something about it."

Has anyone experienced this before? If you have, what was your avenue of self empowerment?

Thanks

Doing it myself instead of waiting for someone else to do it. I don't mean that to sound llike a silly statement, but if I can not do something myself, then chances are good that I do not need it.
In terms of global issues, they are beyond my abilities to make major changes, but I can keep my own yard clean.

#3 User is offline   Elijah 

• Renaissance Man
  • Icon
  • Interests:Buddhism, Mysticism, Judaism, Religion, Philosophy and anything that brings me closer to the truth of reality.

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

View PostSteve Williamson, on Feb 12 2007, 05:05 PM, said:

Thanks

Doing it myself instead of waiting for someone else to do it. I don't mean that to sound llike a silly statement, but if I can not do something myself, then chances are good that I do not need it.
In terms of global issues, they are beyond my abilities to make major changes, but I can keep my own yard clean.

The answer is in our hands

Peace,

Elijah
When Tao prevails in the world, show yourself
When it does not, then hide.

#4 Guest_Sandhya_*

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:42 PM

View PostChaplian, on Feb 12 2007, 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks

I get this from people who are just trying to make it day to day who have nothing to do with impacting the enviromental world...I have friends, and myself who are dealing with aging parents and children all at the same time.And working their jobs as well..they are literally tapped to the extreme with the work requirments, and requirements of being parents and good sons or daughters to their aging demented parents.
I am one of those, and frankly try to add a discussion about enviormentalism to the mix and they will be deer in headlights. That is really the true stress of the majority of people now days. and considering the majority of the population is the baby boomers, i.e. the sandwhich generation...I am afraid this is all we can handle right now.

Maybe worrying about something else would be the straw?
:headbang:

#5 Guest_Clueless Git_*

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:48 AM

View PostChaplian, on Feb 12 2007, 06:53 PM, said:

Thanks

Hello Chaplian :)

Many people with good causes suffer from the frustrations you mentioned. Think it comes from the expectation of immediate results that has become an 'inaliable right' in our modern cultures. "My microwave gives me piping hot Canneloni in 2 minutes and so, dammit!, I should be able to change the world in about the same period of time ..", kinda thing?

Just to echo what has already been said I'll quote Gandhi; "YOU must be the change in the world that you want to see".

#6 Guest_Clueless Git_*

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:08 AM

View PostSandhya, on Apr 15 2007, 05:42 AM, said:

I get this from people who are just trying to make it day to day who have nothing to do with impacting the enviromental world...I have friends, and myself who are dealing with aging parents and children all at the same time.And working their jobs as well..they are literally tapped to the extreme with the work requirments, and requirements of being parents and good sons or daughters to their aging demented parents.
I am one of those, and frankly try to add a discussion about enviormentalism to the mix and they will be deer in headlights. That is really the true stress of the majority of people now days. and considering the majority of the population is the baby boomers, i.e. the sandwhich generation...I am afraid this is all we can handle right now.

Maybe worrying about something else would be the straw?
:headbang:

Hello Sandhya :)

Gandhi (he's my hero!) named poverty as the 'ultimate violence'. His thinking, to the very best of my understanding, was that the daily struggle for survival alone robs people of hope for the future and the time to pursue higher human ideals.

Whilst pondering on that recently I considered this: In Western society there is no real poverty yet so many people I know, and talk to on the internet, genuinely believe they are poor. They seem blind to anything but what they see as a daily struggle to 'survive'. Both parents working full time to keep two cars on the drive and a TV in every room of house (abject poverty to have less?). The kids get little or no parenting, diet goes to pot, and most certainly they believe they have no time to improve themselves, let alone improve the wider world.

I came to the conclusion (no original thinking here ...) that poverty is relative to ones expectations. Therefore even the richest society can create the 'ultimate violence', the spiritual violence, of poverty simply by increasing its members desire for material things.

#7 User is offline   rev mark 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

good to see you again git.

not everyone in the western world is working to keep 2 cars in the drive,yada yada,and yes,many people barely make it pay check to paycheck;just trying to meet everyday needs.

however i agree with you that poverty is a matter of prospective,and as the buddha said,so are heaven and hell.it's all a matter of where you choose to be.

#8 User is offline   parkerlu 

• Icon
  • Interests:Native American spiritualism, Neopagan Worship, environmental stewardship and common sense:) <br /><br />Rites, Seasonal Ceremonies

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

I usually read but don't post much. I figured this time I'd throw my two cents in. I work in the environmental regulatory field in an area that perceives itself as wealthy yet has 11,000 homeless people.

Perception and illusion are two powerful forces upon people. From the envrionmental point, water is getting mighty scarce here in the desert, yet the perception to the individual is "I'm paying for my share Why should I give up my pool, or my yard, or whatever so you can have water?"

Same goes for the gas guzzlers. Few want to carpool as it isn't convenient. Most complain about filling up the tank but refuse to trade to a hybrid vehicle. I truly think it is a perception as someone earlier said that to consume what I can is an unalienable right. Until we change the way our children think about themselves and humanity, until we teach them that happiness is not a result of materialism, we will continue to fight the battle to save our Mother Earth.

Lastly, yes there is poverty in the West. Poverty of money, poverty of family or community helping community, poverty of hope. I've been homeless. I've been broke and I've been and am now quite comfortable. Each event is a lesson in better understanding ourselves and others. I empathize with those caught in the sandwich of responsibility to care for everyone around them. I empathize with those counting pennies found to buy food. May your situations improve as is right, and may you find happiness despite what your mind is telling you is sorrow.

Rev. Lucinda Parker

#9 Guest_Terri-ific_*

Post icon  Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

View Postparkerlu, on Apr 22 2007, 11:17 AM, said:

I usually read but don't post much. I figured this time I'd throw my two cents in. I work in the environmental regulatory field in an area that perceives itself as wealthy yet has 11,000 homeless people.

Perception and illusion are two powerful forces upon people. From the envrionmental point, water is getting mighty scarce here in the desert, yet the perception to the individual is "I'm paying for my share Why should I give up my pool, or my yard, or whatever so you can have water?"

Same goes for the gas guzzlers. Few want to carpool as it isn't convenient. Most complain about filling up the tank but refuse to trade to a hybrid vehicle. I truly think it is a perception as someone earlier said that to consume what I can is an unalienable right. Until we change the way our children think about themselves and humanity, until we teach them that happiness is not a result of materialism, we will continue to fight the battle to save our Mother Earth.

Lastly, yes there is poverty in the West. Poverty of money, poverty of family or community helping community, poverty of hope. I've been homeless. I've been broke and I've been and am now quite comfortable. Each event is a lesson in better understanding ourselves and others. I empathize with those caught in the sandwich of responsibility to care for everyone around them. I empathize with those counting pennies found to buy food. May your situations improve as is right, and may you find happiness despite what your mind is telling you is sorrow.

Rev. Lucinda Parker

I think several people have hit on the solution, maybe just not in the "kiss" format. Which I require myself because I am well know for not being able to walk and chew gum (wacg). The challenge is two fold. You identify a need (to clean up the environment). 1. do what you can, what works for you. 2. Change your perspective. Instead of seeing the class half empty, see the Earth being cleaned and self-staining. Just my 2 cents. The later will probably be the hardest, because (again I speak for myself) I usually have built up alot of belief around the idea that is giving me discomfort, changing it takes conscious effort.

Terri

#10 User is offline   Ceetee 

• Icon

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thanks

I'm never able to think that statement 'I wish somebody would do something about it' without it immediately being taken over by 'I AM Somebody'...
came from a popular saying on a poster many years ago, & stuck in my mind.

#11 User is offline   Nan 

• Icon
  • Interests:Seminary studies, crafts, family, cooking, gardening and just watching. To watch is to learn.

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I Cannot change

This post has been edited by Nan: 07 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

Live simply so others may simply live.

#12 User is offline   Chaplian 

• Icon
  • Interests:Nature/Wildlife<br />Great video games

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:25 AM

Thanks guys, these are all wonderful insights!
Blessings and warm wishes to all.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic