Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Lesson #4 - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lesson #4 Symbology

#1 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

Greetings!

I found the discussion concerning the orientation of the altar, directionally, to be interesting. While my own altars face many directions for many purposes, I found Lord Starwalker's discussion of air over earth, for example, to be an interesting perspective. For myself, altars can be devotional and also practical. I have an altar to Ogma, God of Letters, on which I store my various rune sets. In this way, the runes always stay near their patron and are always "charging" as I like to think of it. It has worked quite well for me

Yours in the Way,

JP :coffee:
JP

#2 User is offline   rev mark 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

not knowing alot about this subject,when you say direction,do you mean east,north,west,south,or what the purpose is?

#3 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Post icon  Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

Greetings, Rev. Mark,

Yes, I do mean N, S, E, and W as far as directions go. While I do try to keep the cardinal direction in mind when setting up an altar, there are sometimes more pressing issues, like practicality. I see that the cardinal directions offer suggestions for alignment, not requirements

Yours in the Way,

JP

#4 User is offline   Kevin 

• Icon

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hi JP,

I am a student of the Ogham as well ( at least I assume you are, since you mentioned Ogma). I find this to be a great source of connection to my Irish heritage and my studies as a Druid.

I have read a few books on the subject, and find Erynn Rowan Laurie, Ellen Evert Hopman, and Skip Ellison to be very knowledgeable and helpful. What are your thoughts?

Kevin

#5 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Post icon  Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hello, Kevin,

I find the Ogham to be incredibly useful, practical, etc, etc. I learned what I call the "Colin Murray" system, based upon Murray's work of the 1980's. I think his work was good (good enough for me). I had the opportunity to ask Skip about Murray he thought Murray did not dig deep enough with the forfeda. I tend to agree. I have therefore began rethinking the forfeda vis-a-vis Murray.

I find Ellen Hopman's work of the 1990s to be identical with Murray's - now her work looks more like Laurie's. Regardless, I think Hopman is an interesting read and she is a skilled author

I think Laurie's work on the Ogham is interesting but not essential

I have been fortunate to have access to Skip Ellison and I think his work is a "must have". He uses the Ogham quite often and he has delved further into this system that most others, in my opinion

I hope this helps

Yours in the Way,

JP

#6 User is offline   Kevin 

• Icon

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:56 AM

Good morning JP,

Thanks for your comments. I had a conversation with Skip about his last couple of books a few months ago. I noticed that the second aicme had all been printed backwards in both books that I had; he was unaware of it! He said that he was working on an updated edition and would make sure that the error was corrected. Apparently the problem came from a downloaded font. Incidentally, I have been an ADF member for about three years now.

I actually found Laurie's book quite interesting. She definitely takes a more poetic approach to the subject.

I'm unfamiliar with Colin Murray- I'll see if I can find his book as well. Thanks for the info on that.

Slan,

Kevin

#7 Guest_Reverend Shoemaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

From the 4th Lesson on Altar tools and placement, I did a healing ritual and this is how my altar was set up (facing North, calling quarters beginning East. Hope this shows correctly....

White Goddess Candle
Goddess Brigid Statue God Lugh Statue

North candle (EARTH)

Cauldron with herbs/healing Sandalwood in abalone

West Candle East candle

Purifying Incense Blue Healing Candle

Chalice Food Offering Candle Snuffer

Bowl Sea Salt (red for passion in ritual) Bowl Well Water (same type/color as Other)

Athame

South candle

BOS

#8 Guest_Reverend Shoemaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

I apologize, as my post on altar tool placement did not show placement correctly.

#9 User is offline   liuhua 

• Icon

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for your comments.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic