Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Comparative Religion - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comparative Religion 15

#1 User is offline   Rev. Kelley 

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Military outreach, homeless outreach, trauma response, spiritual advisement.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:58 PM

Comparative religion discourse 15
Sacred scripture
Things I learned:
I found this super interesting:
"Although ancient civilizations have produced handmade texts for many millennia, the first printed scripture for wide distribution to the masses was The Diamond Sutra, a Buddhist scripture. A copy of The Diamond Sutra, found sealed in a cave in China in the early 20th century, is the oldest known dated printed book, with a printed date of 868. This is about 587 years before the Gutenberg Bible."
I learned Torah scrolls are made of the flesh of murdered animals. No wonder they use a pointer to touch them.
Four important attributes of scripture: literal and direct revelation, eternity, inerrancy, inspiration
forms of scriptural writing such as poems, prose, narratives.
Prophesies, end of world apocalyptic revelations.
Varying religious rules set forth such as commandments or prohibition.
My favorite passage is the "Song of Songs", or "Song of Solomon". I love the beauty and chaos both of this. I love the passion and the love. There is no true structure to the writings, it simply just “is”. It is wild and beautiful in the midst of a long dreadful strict book full of anger and pain. That is why, for me, the moments of light and love are so very powerful within the Bible.
Oral traditions and storytelling are still considered a very important talent to have in my family. I may not possess it, but my brother definitely does, as did my grandfather. We are an Irish family and it is still an important skill to have. Even today you will find storytellers in great supply if you visit Irelands pubs. My favorite was always the stories about "Danu" or the fairies, or whatever people call them, some say the wee folk the little people, etc.
Ireland was populated before the Celts "invaded," by a people who had built the great barrows. These people, as described in the myth, are highly skilled in building and craftsmanship. They are described as being taller (than the Celts, I know we're kinda on the shortish side, some of us), otherworldly beings. These are the people who eventually evolved into being "the little people," the fairies and other enchanted beings who continually resurface and who haunt the tombs and fairy mounds they once built. Some note that calling these larger, more artful aborigines the little people was an attempt to disguise the Celts' fear and guilt of having exploited and displaced them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic