Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Comparative Religion - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comparative Religion 14

#1 User is offline   Rev. Kelley 

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Military outreach, homeless outreach, trauma response, spiritual advisement.

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

Comparative religion sacred space
Spires
According to the wiki description, spires typically are placed to proclaim religious power, and to proclaim religious hope and piety by reaching towards the heavens. Placed on churches it additionally symbolizes the building’s association with wealth and prestige.
City of the dead Cairo
http://travel.nation...ty-of-the-dead/
“The necropolis has been around for more than 700 years in a city so crowded that today tens of thousands live here among the tombs.”
http://www.huffingto..._n_6044616.html
El-Arafa is an ancient cemetery slum where nearly half a million people in Egypt live within and amongst the tombs. It is a city evolved around a graveyard with electricity, running water, a post office, and medical clinics and schools.

Evolution of tombs in Egypt
http://www.ancient.eu/tomb/
Mastabas in Egypt were constructed of dried brick, and later left for common burials while Pharaohs beginning in the third dynasty began construction of more elaborate tombs. The mastabas had a large ceremonial room to honor the spirit of the deceased, and a smaller room typically holding a statue of the dead person which looked into the larger chamber.
http://wiredcosmos.c...great-pyramids/
Zoser and the architect Imhotep began working on a step pyramid in the third dynasty. They piled mastabas on top of each other, making each one smaller towards the top.
Next was the buried pyramid, then a layer pyramid. The Meidum pyramid by Snofru was an actual step pyramid that was then encased to resemble the smooth sided pyramids. His next attempt at an actual pyramid resulted in what is known as the “bent pyramid” due to how it disintegrated as he was building it so adjustments were made in process. Finally, the “Red or North Pyramid” was created from reddish limestone and considered his greatest accomplishment.

“However, it was Snofru’s son, Khufu (or Cheops), who was to build the most famous pyramid – the Great Pyramid of Giza, the only one of the Seven Wonders of the World that is still mostly intact”.
The great pyramid is precisely aligned true north, indicating astronomy and religion was the importance of the design, uniting heaven and earth and promoting the wellbeing of the afterlife of the king’s spirit within, ,
Comparison of the Giza Pyramid, the Luxor temple and the Aby Simbel Temple.

Giza pyramid2540 BC opened/ is oldest of the Seven Wonders of the World,
Luxor temple complex used the process of creating illusion and symbolism of size and perception of power.14th century.
And the most interesting to me;
http://www.ancient.eu/Abu_Simbel/
Abu Simbel temples are two massive rock temples built by king Ramesses during the period of the new kingdom of Egypt. It took twenty years to create and dedicate the complex to the Gods Ra-Horakty, Ptah, the deified Ramesses II (the great temple) and the Goddess Hathor and Queen Nefertiti, one of only two queens who had temples dedicated to them by their husbands.
The temples were aligned to the east and twice a year on the day of Ramesses birthday and of his coronation the sun shines directly on his statues. However the statue of Ptah was positioned to never be illuminated at any time due to that gods association with the Egyptian underworld. The temple was relocated and carefully repositioned when the country re directed the flow of the river with dams.

Sacred sites and structures in my area.
I moved to a place called Guthrie in Oklahoma. Across the street from my 1904 Victorian home is the Scottish rite temple. Guthrie Oklahoma is the leading area in the state from the land run and relocation of the Indian tribes that were already placed here by the government. There are no tribal families that I know of who remain in this particular area, although the state is still full of tribes and continues to preserve its tribal history. The place the Scottish temple now resides was originally built as the capitol building, but the seal was stolen and taken to another city and the building remained empty afterwards. A church offered to buy the space and build a college campus, but could not afford it. Then the city offered the space to the Freemasons, who were also building most of the architecture of the city, for one dollar. The Freemasons moved in and build an adjoining space to the original one, and it is now the largest Masonic structure in the world. If you walk through the downtown area of the city you will note that every building and structure has the freemason symbol carved into the stone. I find it fascinating simply because my Grandfather was a FreeMason and my Grandmother was an Eastern Star.

#2 User is offline   Dr Richard 

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

I had long heard that the pyramids in America were artificial mountains. this lesson kinda reinforced this idea for me. Could all pyramids throughout the word be a representation of some sacred mountain of some long forgotten belief.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic