Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Defining Spiritualism - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defining Spiritualism Final Exam Essay

#1 User is offline   RevAnna 

• Rev A M Pohl
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Come with me... and you'll see... a world of pure imagination. ;o) Gotta Love Wonka
    If you always wanted to find out what Veruca salt looked like after being dropped down the shoot, write me. LOL :o)

Feel free to visit anytime.
    www.ohmygoshco.org/revampohl.html
    or
    Check out the new Blog!
    http://ministerthefield.blogspot.com/

Thanks and Blessings to everyone at ULC Seminary :o)

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

Well I've been away for some time but have not forgotten to do some work while out there in the world.
Below please find my final essay for what I found to be a fascinating course. I will be happily looking
through the posts and essays of others as I have been gone awhile. I hope all are have a great
New Year. God Bless All of you. Rev. Anna :o)

Final Exam Essay January9, 2010

Rev. Anna M. Pohl

Defining Spiritualism

Written by Rev. Chuck Bynum

Essay

It is asked of us for this essay…

What did we find?

What did we learn?

What can I use and how will I use the information given?

In the end the question really becomes,

what did I get outof this series of discourses?

Well I’ll tell you, what I got was a big surprise!

From the beginning I was riveted to the full flow ofinformation. Some I was familiar with. Much, especially in the way it wasformulated and presented, was new. It is obvious from the start the vastknowledge base our instructor has at his disposal. And I’ve been impressed atthe simplicity of the way the facts, observations and opinions are shared, bethey about the excellence in Socrates only knowing that he knows nothing, orthe fatal flaw in Marx plastic model utopia which forgets entirely that we areafter all “only” human.

To say that I agree with much of our instructorsassessments, though true, is really quite beside the point. And the familiaritythe course creates with basic almost primal truths about our relationships withGod are a particular comfort zone for me. All in this course then is relevant to the extreme while being entirelyirrelevant at the same time.

That statement is not meant to be confusing. What I mean bythat is, as I read each discourse, the information became part of the wholeconstruction of the vision and reality of my own already open understanding.This, to the point that knowledge begat knowledge and the information waslargely immediately incorporated into the whole of my knowing. This would belike putting files of the brain in order. Or like putting words to a thoughtthat one hadn’t until that point attempted a word for.

Pretty Gnostic Right? :o)

Having at least a little knowledge base in the subjectmatter I was not confused at any time. But at the same time each lesson waseducating, thought and heart provoking.

As you might have surmised I’m good up to there.

So, one has to ask “what’s the big surprise?”

The curveball at the end! Wow!

I don’t think I’d realized just how entirely our instructorhad communicated his points or how completely I had sorted and absorbed theconcepts until that surprise ending. I had formed a balance of understandingsome how as I experienced those last couple discourses.

Here the entire course had been an enjoyable romp in fact,opinion, fact, opinion, fact, opinion, observation. Then suddenly ourinstructor quite literally slams us with Epiphany! Whew! And not just epiphany, but the process ofthat epiphany.

My Lord, (and I do mean that literally :o) Itwas just shocking. In the middle of a calm, cool, mirror like pond ourinstructor cannon balls, erupting our concentration in all directions, emotionsplashing and the challenge is put forth. But not by him.

“Have I bared my soul like that? Have I accepted… me?”

In baring his soul we see the healing and growth spew ontothe paper. The acknowledgement of good, bad, ugly and God, past, present,future and eternity. This compelling him right past victim-hood, torealization, toward a kind of madness and straight through to the calm ofexhaustion. We feel the loss of self (who he thought he was) the remembrance of whohe is and the acceptance of the divine “person”.

We watch like voyeuristic teens as this man, our instructor,pulls the hand from behind his back and opens it palm up, like a child who hastaken another child’s toy. All the guilt, shame, fault and embarrassment resting in those little eyes until in aninstant the grin of recognition comes out. “I am not ashamed” he says. And just like a kid the grin gets wider assomewhere internally he admits “but yes Idid do it”.

We are taken through his admission of “sinhood” to therealization that God is, I am, we are. Then after all this we are asked whatdid you get out of this course?

The truth is I have been given a gift from one person toanother. In Usui Reiki we say “The Christ in me greets the Christ in you”.While our instructor greeted us with this course I greeted him by taking it.And in return we find again the definition of ‘sin’, ‘hell’ ‘Bad’ ‘misery’ etc,The separation from God.

However we now have a new extension to this definition.

In defining that...

God is us, God is, God is I, I am God soyou are God and God is you,

we see not only the separation of God as being the ultimatehell but the separation from each other.

I have often noted myself that we are the cells of God’sBody.

Then the separation of those cells causes pain.

True misery then, loss and pain is indeed the separationfrom each other.

A fact that we in our society are creating and living withmore and more.

All of this exacerbated by our attachments to our pasts.

It is my opinion that this is why our instructor was socompelled. He “must” follow what God wants him to do… sharing of his story withus. Because of the separation his pastactions, loss, and guilt had brought about his sharing was a way to reconnect.To lift the attachment to his past. He becomes part of not only the fault ofbeing human but he becomes part of our humanity again and so our divinity.

It is God bringing God to God.

It is God coming close to God.

It is God in the entirety of God.

And so it could be said that the course ends up saying

“God in me greets God in you” “I am”

In conclusion I have been given again an additional way toaccept and forgive myself and others without guilt. Rational has lead todiscovery of God.

How ironic and telling of who we are as people.

I thank our instructor and the seminary again for sharingall this with us.

May you reap the benefits of knowing God in yourselves.

(whether you call it that or not.) :o)

"Unhappiness is never acceptable when happiness is waiting to be discovered"
Anonamous ... but Loved by my Grandmother

Rev. Anna :o)

#2 User is offline   Rev Starr 

• Icon

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed your post.

#3 User is offline   RevAnna 

• Rev A M Pohl
  • Icon
  • Interests:Come with me... and you'll see... a world of pure imagination. ;o) Gotta Love Wonka
    If you always wanted to find out what Veruca salt looked like after being dropped down the shoot, write me. LOL :o)

Feel free to visit anytime.
    www.ohmygoshco.org/revampohl.html
    or
    Check out the new Blog!
    http://ministerthefield.blogspot.com/

Thanks and Blessings to everyone at ULC Seminary :o)

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Not at all thank you for reading. It is always nice to hear from our fellows. Have a great day!
:o) Anna

View PostRev Starr, on 10 January 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed your post.

"Unhappiness is never acceptable when happiness is waiting to be discovered"
Anonamous ... but Loved by my Grandmother

Rev. Anna :o)

#4 User is offline   sourav 

• Icon

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:00 AM

Enjoyed the writeup, I wish love and light for everyone. Please review the site full of heartwarming positive stories at https://chaaipani.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic