Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Comparative Religion - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comparative Religion 12

#1 User is offline   Rev. Kelley 

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Military outreach, homeless outreach, trauma response, spiritual advisement.

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

week twelve of the Comparative Religions Course Part 1.
The links for some reason never seem to work in these assignments for me, so here is the information I did find.

1 festivals in Europe.
When : July 5-7 Where : Sedilo, Sardinia, Italy
One of the biggest festivals in Sardinia is L'ardia DI San Costantino, commemorating Constantine's victory over Maxentious at the Mulvian Bridge in 312, where Constantine is reported to have seen a flaming cross inscribed with the words "in this sign thou shall conquer". Every year on July 5th through 7th Constantine's charge is recreated with a monumental horse race held on the grounds of the Sanctuario DI San Costantino, just outside Sedilo's eastern boundary. On the evening of the race, horses and riders gather on a hill outside the sanctuary grounds. The local priest and the mayor give grand speeches accompanied by the eloquent gestures: prayers for safety, prayers for the victory of Constantine and thus for Christianity. When they reach the Sanctuary, they stop, then circle the sanctuary slowly, getting blessed by the priest each time they pass the front gate--seven times. But on this day, Constantine takes off after the sixth pass, leading all challengers to the dry fountain that marks the end of the race. The town of Sedilo breaths a collective sigh of relief; a win means the basic tenets of Christianity have been renewed for another year. Afterwards the crowd eases toward an open field where suckling pigs rotate in wood fired ovens and live skewered eels writhe in painful ecstasy over hot coals. While munching on a few of these eels from a greasy newspaper cone I learn from a local the reason for "Constantine's" violation of the rules. Only one person per year is allowed to play Constantine, and only if he has received some special dispensation from God.
Personal note: this is hideous. The entire idea of a horse race is ridiculous enough but then they celebrate how wonderful it is to remain blessed Christians by slaughtering and feeding each other roasted infant piglets and describe the torture of living sea life being burned alive as to be “ecstasy”.
2. Candles I think of birthdays and holiday rituals, happiness. And lamps; banners I only really consider activism with this one. Clean, crisp cloths well, catholic mass of course. Fire, and ashes remind me of my pagan summer travels and the fun we always had celebrating the solstice. seasonal flowers, fruits, and foliage reminds me of the Buddhist and Hindu altars..; bread, salt are alcoholic drink Irish traditional gifts we give to welcome a new family into a new home,; water, soap, aromatic herbs cleansing rituals before pagan ceremony.; rings, necklaces, medallions, amulets, and gifts of ranking shawls; bowls, still Buddhist, ,we use both for meditation. Goblets catholic or pagan, which can seem very similar in many areas., boxes the only box I can ritualistically think of is an altar box, used in nearly every religion I know of from the altar box that holds the sacrament for Catholics, to the box pagans store ritual and ceremonial items in, to the altar box Buddhist fill with offerings and incense.
Emotional response to each one is most of the same; reverent. Regardless of who or why the item is being used, it is considered important and sacred.

3. http://listverse.com...ligious-relics/
This was creepy, just crazy insane creepiness. It’s what I found when I looked up religious relics.
4. http://press.princet...ters/i7753.html
“In the Mahaparinibbana Sutta, the Buddha explains to his beloved disciple, Ananda, that after the Blessed One's death the dhamma and vinaya will be his disciples' teacher (D II.154). This passage is frequently cited out of context to support several doctrines considered to be quintessentially Theravadin, in particular, that the Buddha was an enlightened being but not to be revered as divine; that he was to be respected as a teacher of the dhamma but was not to be become an object of attachment. In this study the lessons derived from popular Buddhist thought and practice in northern Thailand appear to be diametrically opposed to such views. The Buddha that emerges through the medium of the image becomes a grantor of boons, and the Buddha's teaching about nonattachment falls victim to an obsessive preoccupation with sacred objects revered for their protective potency and economic value.”

5. http://oca.org/ortho...-divine-liturgy
“The Divine Liturgy is always “on behalf of all and for all.” Although it is generally the practice in the Orthodox Church today to allow non-Orthodox Christians, and even non-Christians, to witness the Liturgy of the Faithful, it is still the practice to reserve actual participation in the sacrament of Holy Communion only to members of the Orthodox Church who are fully committed to the life and teachings of the Orthodox Faith as preserved, proclaimed and practiced by the Church throughout its history.”

6. http://gnosticteachi...beginnings.html

“If you know anybody who is Hindu or you go to a Hindu temple, ritual, or festival, they always begin by invoking Ganesha with prayers, mantras, and songs. Every significant event in the life of a Hindu begins with the invocation of Ganesha. This is how important Ganesha is in Hinduism, and why he is called "the lord of beginnings." Devotees ask Ganesh to remove any obstacles, to clear the way so that the goal of the congregation or the person can be achieved.”

Final. My associated religion is Catholic and Buddhism. Both have much use of symbols and ritual. Both use blessed water, words, songs, prayers, incense, and candles. Both use symbolism to complete rituals and ceremonies, such as bells and chimes, special food offerings, and specific celebrations and ceremonies on special holy days. I will always associate myself with the Catholic faith, but will always consider myself truly as a practicing Buddhist.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic