Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: ULC Seminary - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ULC Seminary In the News

#31 Guest_atkenos_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:07 AM

Is an internet ministry a joke? Gee, you might as well ask if the internet is a joke

It still has some detractors but is now accepted world wide

I was a Director of one of my state's most respected companies in the 1990s. They looked at going "on line" and determined it had no value whatsoever.

But I persisted with them for two years, noting what could be achieved what the competition were doing... and finally they agreed.

In their first two weeks, without even advertising the fact, people guessing the web address made some 50,000 hits

Today internet shopping, service, advice is common

In time so too will the ULC be regarded with greater reverence, albeit there will always be detractors as with anything in life :pepsi:

#32 User is offline   Rabbi K.Boaz 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Comparative religion, militaria, history, travel

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:35 AM

It should be remembered that the ULC has been around for over 40 years. I still remember some of the newspaper articles and ads. Some took it as a joke. As a member of a mainstream denomination at the time, I just thought it was a little weird.
Times changed and so did I. The ULC is far more "mainstream" now than ever.
The internet is just an extension of a church which is proving the test of time.
Shalom,
Rabbi K. Boaz

#33 Guest_Buddhism_*

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:12 AM

Mainstream bashes ULC at every opportunity.

I saw Dr. Robert Schuller lie about ULC and say that they charged $35 for people to become an ordained minister.....There is still alot of progress yet to be made in the area of acceptance.

#34 Guest_godblessedrob_*

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:18 PM

What would it take in order to make ULC ordinations official? We clearly have the numbers. Should we start a petition?

#35 User is offline   Josh 

• Vice President, Murphzlaw1 Inc.
  • Icon
  • Interests:If you have any questions, just ask me. I am pretty open.

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:35 PM

they are official, atleast in the US
It can't rain all the time"--the crow
"In this world their can be no black or white, merely shades of gray"--me
"visit group site and my personal site"

Posted Image

#36 Guest_Detlev_*

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:08 AM

"I can not belive that God will turn his back on a person if he is a Buddhist,Muslim, Jewish, or Catholic, as long as you are good at heart and do your best to do what it is right."

This is my sentiment exactly, and when I found the ULC site I saw it as an opportunity to bring together people who are excluded by the main-stream religions.

I also think that all study is for self improvement and will give you wisdom regardless of a title or not.

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Rev. Detlev Litzkow

#37 Guest_Judge_*

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:12 PM

Awesome Points Rev. Litzkow. Thanks for them.

View PostDetlev, on Aug 19 2006, 01:08 AM, said:

"I can not belive that God will turn his back on a person if he is a Buddhist,Muslim, Jewish, or Catholic, as long as you are good at heart and do your best to do what it is right."

This is my sentiment exactly, and when I found the ULC site I saw it as an opportunity to bring together people who are excluded by the main-stream religions.

I also think that all study is for self improvement and will give you wisdom regardless of a title or not.

Rev. Detlev Litzkow

#38 Guest_spiritdream_*

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

View PostJudge, on Aug 19 2006, 02:12 PM, said:

Awesome Points Rev. Litzkow. Thanks for them.

View PostDetlev, on Aug 19 2006, 01:08 AM, said:

Rev. Detlev Litzkow

I agree, AMEN!

#39 Guest_thomaskolter_*

Post icon  Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:17 PM

For an criticism I have made it was strictly to bring up an important point to be sure we as a seminary body have the proper credentials to hold an advanced degree to those outside the faith. I love the eclectic nature of the ULC and the seminary program that is what makes it special. But we cannot ignore in self-growth to train scholars as well that can hold up their heads at religious conferences and hold their own in theological debate. I would love when I earn my Ph.D. to oversee a Dr. of Theology degree option someday to focus on scholarship and core learning in great relgious works. There is no reason we cannot have both here at all. As well as one course for critical religious debate in writing as an elective for the Ministry students.

I will likely set-up a side program for the theology program at some point regardless of ULC approval here at the seminary, but it would be nice if we could work together. I'm sure many here would love to do studies of great religious figures writings and in a good way in academic scholarship. But that all will be some time coming I must earn my own Ph.D. first. And get a grounding here towards a ministry degree.

:biggrinthumb:

This post has been edited by thomaskolter: 20 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

#40 User is offline   Josh 

• Icon

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:02 PM

You seem to be missing the point that the degrees here at the seminary are not generally for "outside" the faith.

Posted Image

#41 Guest_thomaskolter_*

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

True but the program trains leaders in the faith and they in turn represent the faith to others outside of the ULC. I feel there is room for internal ministry training and also later strong scholarly training in theology and critical thinking, to offer both a practical spiritual path and a respectable academic path. They are not opposed many faiths rely on both look at Islam, Jewish and Christian traditions many respect the spiritual and scholarly. But eventually if the ULC wants to pass the test with the major faiths and critics it will come down to how we train our leaders. You seem I'm afraid to miss my point.

#42 User is offline   Josh 

• Icon

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:12 PM

That is the thing, the ULC has as a whole, hasn't been concerned with being recognized by other denominations.

Posted Image

#43 User is offline   parkerlu 

• Icon
  • Interests:Native American spiritualism, Neopagan Worship, environmental stewardship and common sense:) <br /><br />Rites, Seasonal Ceremonies

Post icon  Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

View PostJDCUSAF, on Aug 20 2006, 01:12 PM, said:

That is the thing, the ULC has as a whole, hasn't been concerned with being recognized by other denominations.

[size=3]And I don't think we, as the ULC, are interested in simply following all of those who have gone before us in terms of being accepted, conforming to the way things have always been done etc. ad nauseum. The Seminary offers further information and knowledge in specific areas, such as self discovery, comparative religion etc. The more I think about this discussion, the more I feel that though may a few changes for the positive we could make, I don't want to just become another Western highly structured old school seminary. There are plenty of those out there for folks who wish to follow that path.

As to scholarly debates etc., again, that may not be the goal of many.

That said, Thomas, your goals are viable for you, and I wish you great success and accomplishment. Your path is not the path for everyone. Once you finish your academic Ph. D. you may find your niche in a college or university looking for someone to teach the very things you are so interested in.

Personally, I could care less if another living soul believed exactly as I do, or took the same classes or anything as I believe all spiritual growth and practice is individual. The only reason congregations and then denominations came into existence was enough people with compromise and common ground enjoyed the comradere of a Sunday morning get to together.

Lucinda P

This post has been edited by parkerlu: 20 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

#44 User is offline   Elijah 

• Renaissance Man
  • Icon
  • Interests:Buddhism, Mysticism, Judaism, Religion, Philosophy and anything that brings me closer to the truth of reality.

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:40 PM

Few thoughts to contribute.

ULC is a non-denominational congregation. Its mission is to encompass and accept all other religions and paths to the Divine there might exist.

The Seminary, recognizing that ULC ministers might need further education, given the unique way a person is ordained in this Church, and in order to work towards that mission, opens its doors to all who want to obtain more light in the subject of ministry; under the especial condition that the studies it offers, must encompass knowledge from all religions and belief systems, so to be consistent with ULC's mission and vision.

I do not see any conflict in what Thomas is proposing. He is just arguing that courses in critical thinking and scholarship will just add to the Seminary proposition.

I personally think that his proposal makes a lot of sense, and it does not mean in anyway that it will necessarily "sold out" in any principle.

Not seeking recognition by other denominations is one thing. Staying short on academics because of that reason, makes not sense at all to me.

Peace,

Elijah
When Tao prevails in the world, show yourself
When it does not, then hide.

#45 Guest_Sandhya_*

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

View PostRabbi K.Boaz, on Jul 12 2005, 11:55 PM, said:

Although I posted in this thread awile back, I feel the need to do so again.

I did not join the ULC as a lark, but I was amazed at the changes it brought about in me. For many years, I actually avoided the ULC because of the reputation it had in some circles thirty years ago. However, after finding that one of my colleagues had been ordained by mail with another group, I decided to look up the ULC again. I was happy to find that it had moved into cyberspace along with the times. After a few days of mulling it over, I went to ULC.net and requested ordination. Somehow, after being ordained, I was able to express my beliefs a little more, both inwardly and outwardly.

It took me a little time to get the courage to join an online group, but again I was glad that I did. Although the first ULC forum to which I belonged is defunct, it led me to meet a number of great people online. I have also become acquainted with a few ULC ministers in person.

I am really glad that more people have found this site. I don't plan to drop my membership in other sites, because I think that each one has its own focus. I hope that others will find the same.

my first exposure to the ULC was we were married by a ULC minister. Yes it is legal, but I am afraid, you can be married by anyone legally...it is just a registration process and for pomp and circumstance. The legality is in the marriage license..not the ceremony.
It still has to be notorized by the county clerk within 30 days of a ceremony taking place. As long as you get it in by the end of the 30 day period, you are legallyl married. Because, when you turn it in you SWEAR that you are who you are and the document is then "here by" notorized...

#46 User is offline   Josh 

• Icon

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

Not true Sandhya, first in many states, it is illegal for the person to solemize a marriage without the authority of the state. Secondly there are been numberous court cases were a marriage was annulled becuase of lack of authority of the person solemnizing, in states that do not have laws to protect against it.

Posted Image

#47 Guest_Billings_*

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

I am a Johnny Come Late in this posting. I was ordained thru another on-line seminary. I was licensed by a main stream Baptist church. I however was licensed for over twenty years by the Episcopal church as a layreader and eucharistic minister. Early in my life I served as a "junior" deacon in the Baptist church. This is only to give some background info on myself.

The reason for my post is an observation of too many ministers that I have either heard about or know about. Without naming names, I can tell you of many"clergy" that have in class courses that do not exemplify what should be called Christian ministers. From adultery, thief of funds, etc....., saying they got into it for the money and glory of being a preacher. I have known a few who have no formal training or schooling of any kind that have been wonderful examples. One of whom inspired me to become ordained as a minister.

It is what the true heart of the person is and not main line schools to make a good minister. Regardless of the faith, whether Christian, Muslim, Hindu or what.

My purpose and I hope of others here is a fuller understanding of their religion.

Further post of this and the legal authority to follow.

Rev. Dr. Billings F. Jones, Sr, D. Div.

#48 Guest_debbie d_*

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

View PostRabbi K.Boaz, on Jul 13 2005, 03:55 AM, said:

Although I posted in this thread awile back, I feel the need to do so again.

I did not join the ULC as a lark, but I was amazed at the changes it brought about in me. For many years, I actually avoided the ULC because of the reputation it had in some circles thirty years ago. However, after finding that one of my colleagues had been ordained by mail with another group, I decided to look up the ULC again. I was happy to find that it had moved into cyberspace along with the times. After a few days of mulling it over, I went to ULC.net and requested ordination. Somehow, after being ordained, I was able to express my beliefs a little more, both inwardly and outwardly.

It took me a little time to get the courage to join an online group, but again I was glad that I did. Although the first ULC forum to which I belonged is defunct, it led me to meet a number of great people online. I have also become acquainted with a few ULC ministers in person.

I am really glad that more people have found this site. I don't plan to drop my membership in other sites, because I think that each one has its own focus. I hope that others will find the same.

I was ordained a few years back as well and, I was gone for awhile and I went to the wrong ULC until I found my way home again. I am happy to be here and I will be staying this time. The ULC has much to offer in learning, sharing, growing, and well being more open to that which is. I feel as if I am home again.

#49 User is offline   Rev. Rose 

• Icon

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:43 AM

Well here I am bored at work reading through all of these posts. The real question is that I can not find is, "What do you say to your wife when she thinks that you are a joke for being ordain and how can this be legal?" Any help would be great since I am looking at performing two or three weddings this year. I would like her support in all of this. Thanks.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."- Psalm 118:8

#50 User is offline   Josh 

• Icon

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

Well, you can show her the legal cases where it has been shown that the ULC's right to be a religion has been upheld.

Posted Image

#51 User is offline   Rev. B 

• Icon

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:28 AM

[font="Courier New"][b]I informed a Minister from another denomination that I am an Ordained Minister. He immediately began to list his credentials. He told me how long he had studied and how hard he had worked in the seminary to become a man of the cloth. He was proud of the fact that he had pastored several churches in the past. This former pastor suggested that many individuals obtain their credentials from cracker jack establishments. Finally, he asked me how I could justify my credentials through the ULC. Mind you, he is a co-worker. First, I told him that I have 30 years of experience in the church. He seemed to be impressed by that information. I then informed him that I and the Universal Life Church are exercising our right to "Freedom of Religion" under the First Amendment of the Constitution. This is a concept that should not be foreign to United States citizens. I then said that the constitutional right to the "Freedom of Religion" is a powerful mandate. I believe that I added salt to the wound when I said that he chose to become ordained his way, and I chose to become ordained my way. The conversation abruptly ended, and a once friendly co-worker became quite cool.

Rigorous study does not create a minister. It's what's in your heart and how you serve others that matters. Studying is absolutely necessary; but, the amount of rigor-with regard to your studies-is irrelevant in my opinion. I am grateful to the ULC for providing a way to enhance my ministry through their courses.

I will continue to defend the ULC and my right to be a minister. By the way, I'm an African American woman. He may have been shocked by my revelation regarding the ministry. I have had a calling on my life for many years, and I will not back down because someone else does not see it. Permission for my ministry comes from a higher power. I want to help others and spread the good news. I intend to do that for as long and as often as possible.

Thank you, ULC. [/b]
[/font]

This post has been edited by Rev. B: 26 March 2008 - 02:29 AM

#52 User is offline   Dr. Willis 

• Icon

Post icon  Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:30 AM

As with most things in life, people are constantly looking for ways to abuse the system. Yes I have witness many people getting ordain on the ULC website as joke. But as my brother said we can tell al ot about the character of the person that takes such matters as joke. Can this Institution offer some safe guards, to ensure and reduce that type of behavior ? I'm sure it can and believe that Amy and Josh are probably all ready working that out. In the mean time let us be in prayer for those that would abuse the present day system. I began as teen as Sunday School teacher and then later a Decon and head of the Sunday School department then a Youth Minister, then an Ordain Assistant Pastor, I also got ordain here and work with two other Religious organizations that I had to go through a discipleship to be able to preach the gospel or teach. Now each organization is different. Our job should be here to support our leaders this Church and the Seminary. To ensure that we set high standards for the world watches us. Let us lead and not follow. So I encourage you all to let Amy know what a great job she is doing, let us not just bring issues to her door but answers and well, and pray that she will receive them with the same love they are offered with.
Dr. Willis Henry M.R.P

#53 User is offline   Dr. Willis 

• Icon

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:39 AM

View Postthomaskolter, on Aug 20 2006, 02:06 PM, said:

True but the program trains leaders in the faith and they in turn represent the faith to others outside of the ULC. I feel there is room for internal ministry training and also later strong scholarly training in theology and critical thinking, to offer both a practical spiritual path and a respectable academic path. They are not opposed many faiths rely on both look at Islam, Jewish and Christian traditions many respect the spiritual and scholarly. But eventually if the ULC wants to pass the test with the major faiths and critics it will come down to how we train our leaders. You seem I'm afraid to miss my point.

When Christ came teaching a new way, many hated him without cause. Some embraced his teachings, some were seeking hope. When does a religious group of men and women become so hard neck, that no ideas are not weighed and measured to determine if they are true or false. I would not like to go to job and find its fake but yet I do get paid. How can I enjoy my check knowing I have done nothing to earn it nor is their a real company.
Dr. Willis Henry M.R.P

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic