Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Cannabis And Pain Relief - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cannabis And Pain Relief

#1 User is online   AmyLong 

• ULC Seminary Director
  • Icon
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

Hi

I think it is funny that you used the terms to "weed out" when describing scientific research into the investigations of the cannabinoids in pain relief. Was that on purpose? Either way it is clever. I suffer from severe arthritis of the hip and shoulders and I would certainly benefit from the medicinal properties you describe in pain relief.

I certainly think the use of then cannibus plant has much more benefits for patients then the existing medical community, mainly the political community, gives it credit for. I had a very religious, straight laced friend who found his only relief for the terrible side effects of cancer chemo therapy, to be smoking marijuana.

It would be very hard for the politicians to admit that all those cannibus users from yesteryear, who went to jail, should have possibly never gone. I guess it shows my leanings toward the use of it in religious terms, as it should be completely allowed and is likely the safest of all such compounds compared to the others as you have indicated in the descriptions. Don't get me wrong I am not a user of any "illegal" drugs or of most any mentioned ethogens, except tobacco.

However, although I am sure it effects my physical health, I am also just as positive that it improves my mental health to sit and smoke a cigar to relieve my stresses. It does definitely, make one more stimulated or alert and I quite often use it to help me on long driving trips.

I enjoyed this lesson very much and can attest to the experiences of many of these compounds during my 60's college years. I am not proud of it, it is just something that happened and many of the effects mentioned in these lessons are great awakenings that occurred way back when. I would not partake at this time unless they were legal. And, even then, my other medicines of need might conflict so I wouldn't chance it.
Tobacco being the only one yet not to be totally banned is still my 'spiritual' ethogen and substance of choice.

Take care and this is very positive information to ingest... my little joke here...

adam
I have been ordained through the Universal Life Church , and I post spiritual articles at ULC and at the Universal Life Church Seminary course listings. I'm also a martial artist and I teach Sacramento Martial Arts. I support the Universal Life Church Article Directory, and have blogs that contain ULC Seminary Essays and Wedding Ceremonies.

#2 User is online   AmyLong 

• ULC Seminary Director
  • Icon

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

Excellent analysis of the arguments.

I believe the use of such ethogens in religion and for medicinal healing have great benefits and I have seen such and it is somewhat sad, I guess, that perspective is limited. But then, that is the role of a religious leader to evaluate the elements that are beneficial to those who need their assistance. The problem is societal perspective of those who do not study or understand the elements of the traditional ceremony of the religion; and, it is good to see such teachings as in this course as we have to be reminded to accept mankind in the opinion of others and try to illuminate to reach the state of peace of mind and healing of the soul whether it be traditionally accepted practice of most modern religion or traditional as is such as the elements of this religious doctrine of Shamanism. They are both valid to those who practice them, but not necessarily accepted by each other in our society. That is also sad to me, but it must be learned that there is merit in both.

Very interesting lesson...

Adam
I have been ordained through the Universal Life Church , and I post spiritual articles at ULC and at the Universal Life Church Seminary course listings. I'm also a martial artist and I teach Sacramento Martial Arts. I support the Universal Life Church Article Directory, and have blogs that contain ULC Seminary Essays and Wedding Ceremonies.

#3 User is online   AmyLong 

• ULC Seminary Director
  • Icon

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

Very enlighting. I oppose all forms off government listed substances for recreational use. I use tobacco and caffeine, two of the more dangerous, thus far, legal drugs, everyday. My tobacco use is solely associated with the elements of part of my faith as it is the time I set aside for reflection and prayer.

I appreciate this article more than any thing so far as I do feel that the recreational use of drugs is such that it can impact health and safety. However, alcoholic beverages are legal and they may be used in religious ceremonies of many denominations without any questions be raised. There are limitations and laws such as prohibiting drunk driving.

The substance has been associated with many forms of infant defects and health implications from the womb to the tomb. Yet, it is allowed and used freely in religion and laws limit other non religious uses. I think the use of ethogens in spiritual mannerism, should stand the test of comparative religious aspects. If one is to set cannibus up as alcohol, and have the same rules, then it should be so allowed for religious use and have regulations for recreational use. Using the argument of the numbers of arrests or confiscations is ridiculous in that alcohol consumption is more of a problem and thus it places these ethogens in degrees of acceptability. Politics should not infringe on the rights of the truly committed religious services and manner in which they are conducted. One rationally, using our ten commandments, could presume that the killing of man or beast no matter in what format for religious purposes could be matter of intervention into the line of religion that is suitable. This is argument that leads one into further issues of morality of pro choice and not as I progress in my logic, which is now off into tangent arenas.

Back to the point, it is not government's role to infringe in the safe practice of religion and use of ethogens. Amen...

I hope you don't mind my comments at the end of these sessions. I am drawn into contemplation by the lessons and must find ways to express my thoughts. If they bother you, I shall refrain and just wait until the end of the course to do my summary all at one time. But, these are indeed matters, that I must wrestle with in formation of thought and supported principle.

thanks again and great information...

adam

#4 User is offline   Samadhi 

• Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:26 PM

The politicians need to move beyond the taboo and recognize its medicinal values...

#5 Guest_Clueless Git_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

View PostAmyLong, on May 17 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

... My tobacco use is solely associated with the elements of part of my faith as it is the time I set aside for reflection and prayer.

BRILLIANT!

Errr ... I mean ... yes obviously, that is my precise reason for enjoying a ciggie or two too :thumbsup:

Personally I smoked cannabis daily for a period of over 10 years and only stopped last year. Might also be an age or a stress related thing but my short term memory is well and truly clucked up.

The most significant factor in my giving up was that I saw the kids round our way smoking the stuff. There are times in life when one can afford to be laid back and chilled out and laid back. That time is not when one should be finishing their studies or entering the job market.

I kinda decided that my own 'right' to smoke dope was outweighed by my duty as an adult to be a better role model to my own and the other local kids.

Bit :OT:, I know, but that is really all I have to say ...

This post has been edited by Clueless Git: 27 May 2006 - 08:18 AM

#6 Guest_hcoffen_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

Greetings all
It is my impression that at least one group has won from the court the privilege of using cannabis in it's worship.
Alas I can't remember the specifics but it should show on a good search engine. As for medicinal uses, beyond the west coast attempt to legalize small amounts for personnel health needs, a cannabis derivatives in most hospital formularies an appetite stimulant(most people I give it to complain of the taste, seems strange to stimulate the apatite with something foul tasting).
Tobacco can be mildly hallucinogenic you just have to blend your own using legal pipe tobacco from a hurricane ravaged state. Most uses I am aware of for cannabis in pain relief is as part of adjunctive therapy, it makes traditional pain medication work better, not a bad thing.
A caveat, any active substance has inherent dangers, even natural cures. They affect your body, mind and soul. The dangers go with the benefit. Sometimes they are easy to see, ethanol and canabols reduction of inhibitions other times they are more subtle, tobaccos vasoconstriction increasing a diabetics risk of limb loss. To be sure many of the effects are smaller then with man made substances but they exist.
This is the leverage used to restrict use, even if the conspiracy buffs are right and the real cause is drug company profit. A case in point heroin is safer to withdraw from then methadone the legal substitute. There is also research that suggests it's use is safer, but it is old non-US based research so interpret according to your values.
I guess my point is if you use any of this class for worship know that the legal dangers are only part of the issue. Get instruction from someone experienced in the proper spiritual use of the substance.
and if you must use it may it lead you safely to the truth you seek.

Hal

#7 Guest_Judge_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

I personally don't agree with any Mind-Altering Drug, quite simply because of the chance of addiction. Even though MJ is not physically addicting it is mentally addicting. Also, it is a gateway drug that leads to more serious drugs or it is a trigger for those who might be fighting addiction to other drugs. I did research in school about his and found some very interesting things I never new about MJ and since changed my mind. I use to accept the use of MJ but now I do not. That is just my opinion and I don't condemn anyone that agrees with the use of it, but I don't encourage it myself.

#8 Guest_loststar_moonstar_*

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:33 AM

I agree with Judge,I do not believe in altering my state of conscience with anything.I know some of the Native American Churchs use "Grandfather",but I can acheive a state of mind on my own. Even with medicines ,I won't take them,at least when I'm in pain I don't push my "limits"

:dance:

#9 User is offline   Elijah 

• Renaissance Man
  • Icon
  • Interests:Buddhism, Mysticism, Judaism, Religion, Philosophy and anything that brings me closer to the truth of reality.

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:16 PM

I think that chanting and reciting mantras achieve the same affect that mind-altering substances without the dreaded secondary effects. Do no forget the shamanic effect of buildings and structures, such as temples, rooms, chambers, pyramids, etc.

Peace,

Elijah
When Tao prevails in the world, show yourself
When it does not, then hide.

#10 User is offline   Traveler 

• Reverend (and "Devil's Advocate")
  • Icon
  • Interests:libertarianism, physical exercise/activity, Doctor Who, writing, philosophy, poker, digital video, Malta, books, practical living, history, strategy games, Pepsi products

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:29 PM

Marijuana is widely known to be an effective salve for ailments that bring on chronic pain, and the pain relief does not require continuous toking up. Very low levels of marijuana smoking have been shown to relieve very large amounts of pain from those suffering from cancer, severe arthritis, and other chronic severe illnesses. I have a friend who suffers from a rare bone disorder that causes constant deep pain all over his body, and he lights up once a day or so. He has done for as long as I've known him, about 14 years.

His medicine is, of course, neither non-prescription nor comes from Canada.
All I know for sure is there is a God and I'm not It/Him/Her/Them/Us, not in any singular superlative sense anyway.

#11 User is offline   Rich G. 

• Practicing Zen Buddhist / Promoter of Peace, Love, and Harmony
  • Icon

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:12 AM

It is also interesting to note that for the last couple years scientists have been researching the uses of synthetic THC for the aforementioned conditions; hopefully we will see some good come of it.

- Rich

#12 Guest_spiritdream_*

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

My 2 cents......

Having grown up in the late 60's, there probably wasn't anything around that I didn't try at least once. The only thing I wouldn't go near was anything to do with a needle. No matter what I tried, I always came back to MJ, my D.O.C. (drug of choice). So, I don't agree that it is a gateway drug but can acknowledge the point.

Just a bit of trivia...alcohol is the ONLY drug you can die from in withdrawal. Many, many others make you think you're gonna die but you won't actually die from withdrawal. You can certainly die from overdose on most any drug, including Big Pharm's drugs!

I worked for a short time as a crisis counselor in a drug and alcohol rehab center. I've seen people go into seizures in my office and its not pretty; but I made far more emergency admissions of people withdrawing from alcohol than anything else.

For me, I totally agree with Esther Hicks in "The Secret." We have wars against many things yet they only continue to grow because the more we say "no" to anything, the more we will get of it. Law of Attraction is absolute!

Feel free to drop this in the round file, lol!

Namaste,
Linda

#13 Guest_Ferre_*

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

You might want to read this article, by Dr. Robert J. Melamede Ph.D. Chairman of the Biology Department of the University of Colorado: Conducting Scientific research on Cannabinoids

http://www.thc-minis...annabisinfo.htm

Because Marijuana exhibits Free Radicals so people who've been using Cannabis, Long Term, tend to Live Longer & Look Younger. Marijuana Promotes your Health by affecting your Nerve Cells, by Balancing your Immune System, by Reducing Fat Deposition in your Cardio-Vascular System. It looks as if it helps Burn the Synthesis of things like Cholesterol.

#14 Guest_Rev Golden Eagle Woman_*

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:48 AM

Unfortunately most people do not realize that they must respect the spirit of Creator within the mj. To use it properly with prayer asking for help with the pain or to see an answer to a problem is most beneficial. To abuse it by not asking for help can be detrimental. The thing I have noticed about mj is I don't think it is a gate way drug. I do believe however without the prayers and self discipline it may take smoking more to get the same effect as the first time. In my earlier years I had disrespected mj.
I was on a two year party. The smoke of that time seemed alot truer in nature. I saw things I did not understand and things that even scared me. After all these years I learned a way of doing it with prayer that is beneficial. I often get answers to questions that I have as a meditation tool to talk to my spirit relations. I however do not use it daily. I have witnessed the use of mj for pain and appetite. My brother-in-law had AIDS and several crushed vertebrae. He used it to increse his appetite and supress the pain in his spine. He did not pray when he used it and it did not seem to not work. It may have worked better with it but who is to say. I just know that when you respect Creator and ask for help you get results.

#15 Guest_Apotheosis_*

Post icon  Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Did you know that their is a THC producing plant that grows in the south west of the united states, and is a distant cousin of tabacco. The name of this plant is pernounced Ka'nic nic. I have never used this or even seen it. I was told this by a Traditional Native America Counsler. But as for the topic of Mary Jane I would have to agree and disagree. For some, this plant was not ment for them and for others it "can" be. Anyone can turn something good into something bad. The effects and after effects of MJ are negitave in the manner of its' spread to distribution and over use. Which makes a good thing a bad thing. However, it is not a gate way drug (it can be found near other drugs sometimes), but it can open many doors within the mind. To over use anything is dependancy. And we only need a little, for the master only takes two or three tokes before the snuffing. He he he, that sounded funny. It is a matter of choice alone. For the ones who have been hurt greatly by the living chains of domination and the likes may need MJ as a way to heal or forget. For it is their only way to cope or so they think, not many people know about or can afford therapy, EMDR, CST, 3 in one K, Samatio Emotional Release, Raiki ect... As long as it keeps these mentaly damaged peoples alive than I'm all for it. Post Tramatic Stress Disorder suffers' are know for being drug abusers, for they run from them-selves and seek to hide in drugs such as MJ. Everyone comes out of there shell at the own time and place. Creator made it and it is here to stay.

#16 User is offline   karenyoung55 

• Icon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

Using marijuana for spiritual or recreational use will at some point cause adverse side effects. Sloth is one of the seven deadly sins and cannabis use tends to push people toward the side of sloth. Sooner or later the more someone uses the substance the more they will be likely to abuse it and fall away from their original intention.

#17 User is offline   rupam 

• Icon

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

Each defendant appealed convictions associated variously with the cultivation or possession of cannabis resin to be used for pain management. The choice facing the appellants was not severe pain without cannabis or absence of pain with cannabis, rather it was absence of pain with adverse side effects without cannabis, and absence of pain with minimal side effects with cannabis.
========================================
Rupam
new mexico drug rehab

#18 User is offline   rizythomas 

• Icon

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:54 AM

View PostSamadhi, on May 22 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

The politicians need to move beyond the taboo and recognize its medicinal values...

Yes you are, every politician will think as you said... There is no doubt on this and they will not change for ever...

#19 User is offline   michellaws 

• Icon

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:28 AM

View Postrizythomas, on 22 May 2010 - 03:54 AM, said:

View PostSamadhi, on May 22 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

Yes you are, every politician will think as you said... There is no doubt on this and they will not change for ever...

yeah,,, no doubt on this... and there is no chance to change them..

#20 User is offline   Robinn 

• Icon

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:24 AM

Chronic pain unleashes a cascade of harmful hormones, such as cortisol, that adversely affect the immune system and kidney function. Anti-inflammatory herbs are brimming with salicylates and/or steroids. They can also be nourishing, immune strengthening, bone building, and hormonal balancing. The buds, leaves, and bark of willow, birch, poplars, black haw, and wintergreen are all rich in salicylates, and so pain relieving and anti-inflammatory.
Chiropractor Lawrenceville GA

#21 User is offline   Adam 

• Icon

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

There is very nice post which is write by you on this topic...Hey bro ihave some information abt on can you please tell me is true or not.....Ailments for which the medical use of cannabis may be beneficial include:

Addiction, Arthritis, Appetite Loss, Nausea, Cancer Chemotherapy, AIDS Wasting Syndrome, Nausea From Cancer, Chemotherapy, Glaucoma, Multiple Sclerosis, Depression, Parkinson’s Disease, Movement Disorders, Dystonia, Asthma, Brain Injury/Stroke, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Depression, Mental Illness, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, High Blood Pressure/Hypertension, Migraine, Nail Patella Syndrome, Schizophrenia, Tourette's Syndrome.

Below are notes on some of the most common medical uses of cannabis.

Arthritis: In 1994 the ‘Times’ reported; ‘The demand for Cannabis among British pensioners has stunned doctors, police and suppliers. The old people use the drug to ease the pain of such ailments as arthritis and rheumatism. Many are running afoul of the law for the first time in their lives as they try to obtain suppliers.’

Arthritis affects the joints and surrounding areas, including muscles, membrane linings and cartilage. It causes painful inflammation, heat, swelling, pain, redness of skin and tenderness in the affected areas. Cortisone-type drugs provide dramatic pain relief for short periods but decrease in effectiveness if used over time. The side effects of these drugs include nausea, restlessness, insomnia, dizziness, headache, depression and mood swings, irregular heartbeat and menstruation problems. Several cannabinoids have both analgesic (pain-relieving) and anti-inflammatory effects, a combination particularly helpful for arthritic people. Cannabidiol (CBD), one of the main active ingredients in cannabis is a very effective anti-inflammatory agent. Cannabis can be smoked or eaten to relieve the general pain, inflammation and discomfort of arthritis. Cannabis poultices can be applied topically to troubled areas. Cannabis in alcohol or as a cream can also be rubbed on the skin.

Appetite Loss, Nausea, Cancer Chemotherapy, AIDS Wasting Syndrome: One of the most outstanding medical values of cannabis is the role it can play in restoring a person’s relationship to food. Cannabis is remarkably powerful in combating nausea and vomiting, making it possible to consume food and hold it down. It is also an extraordinary stimulant of appetite itself; a condition known by cannabis users as ‘the munchies’. Conditions characterised by nausea, vomiting, appetite problems and severe weight loss include AIDS Wasting Syndrome, kidney failure, tuberculosis, hyperemesis gravidarum (magnified form of morning sickness) and anorexia and the side effects of chemotherapy.

Nausea From Cancer Chemotherapy: Nausea and vomiting, which can last for days after a single treatment and be so violent as to threaten to break bones and rupture the aesophagus, are common side effects of the chemotherapies used in treating cancer. Many patients develop such an aversion to the site or odor of food that they stop eating altogether and lose the will to live. Up to 40% of cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy do not respond to the standard treatment for preventing vomiting. These use expensive ‘antiemetics’ drugs such as ‘Zofran’ (which must be administered by intravenous drip and cost £250+ a treatment). ‘Marinol’ which uses THC was approved after much resistance in the USA in 1986. It is effective in many cases where other drugs have failed. Smoking or eating cannabis also seems to provide relief where standard treatments fail. The effectiveness of cannabis in treating nausea and vomiting from cancer chemotherapy is dose-related. The higher the blood levels of THC, the more complete the relief of vomiting. Lester Grinspoon, M.D. has calculated that using cannabis to treat chemotherapy nausea would cost about one percent as much as treatment with Zofran. feminized seeds

#22 User is offline   justgoogleit 

• Icon

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:22 AM

View PostSamadhi, on 22 May 2006 - 02:26 PM, said:

Most definitely... to say that cannabis and hemp and all the related cannabinoids such as CBD and others have no value in society is just outrageous... it is 2017 now and it's great to see that people are starting to realise the importance of this natural plant based medicine that it provides to society.

If you are looking for the most potent cannabidiol in the world then head to http://highdosecbd.com... they not only provide high dose CBD capsules but also crystals, vape oils, and tinctures :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic