Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home: Lesson #1 Ignore-ance And Wow! - Universal Life Church/ULC Seminary Forum Home

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lesson #1 Ignore-ance And Wow!

#1 User is offline   parkerlu 

• Icon
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Native American spiritualism, Neopagan Worship, environmental stewardship and common sense:) <br /><br />Rites, Seasonal Ceremonies

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

I just finished reading the first lesson of this new class and my initial reaction is WOW!!!
As the author pointed out, I like so many Americans am not ignorant about Islam, but practice ignore-ance. If we don't notice, they aren't there. What a fool I have been!

This lesson was well written, cited current statistics and writers, and really opened my eyes! If you haven't considered this course, DO! :thumbsup:

Rev. Lucinda Parker, Master of Ministry, D.Div.
www.unityspirit.net

This post has been edited by parkerlu: 14 June 2007 - 07:01 PM

#2 Guest_beastudy_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:03 AM

View Postparkerlu, on Jun 15 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

I just finished reading the first lesson of this new class and my initial reaction is WOW!!!
As the author pointed out, I like so many Americans am not ignorant about Islam, but practice ignore-ance. If we don't notice, they aren't there. What a fool I have been!

This lesson was well written, cited current statistics and writers, and really opened my eyes! If you haven't considered this course, DO! :thumbsup:

Rev. Lucinda Parker, Master of Ministry, D.Div.
www.unityspirit.net

I enjoyed the first lesson. Lot of factual interesting information.
In your own words, why is knowledge of Islam important today?

#3 User is offline   parkerlu 

• Icon
  • Interests:Native American spiritualism, Neopagan Worship, environmental stewardship and common sense:) <br /><br />Rites, Seasonal Ceremonies

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Beatriz,
Glad you are taking this course while it is available. I am at lesson 14 and have found every one to be factual, interesting and thought provoking. Knowledge of religious thoughts, particularly of currently very large "book" religions such as Islam is extremely important if we are to continue as a world's people.

Paul Culp, the author of this class, is obviously well versed in Islamic history and culture. The one theme that reoccurs is that Islam has a cultural side and a spiritual religious side just as Chrisitanity and Judaism have. The differences and effects of each are really fascinating and truly form the cultures of over half of world today.

Rev. Lucinda Parker

#4 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Post icon  Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Dear parkerlu,

While I know this course is no longer offered, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on your studies. I must admit ignorance as to the topic of this course, and any insights you could offer would be greatly welcomed - thank you!

JP
JP

#5 User is offline   psc 

• Icon

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

View PostJP, on Dec 12 2007, 01:45 PM, said:

Dear parkerlu,

While I know this course is no longer offered, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on your studies. I must admit ignorance as to the topic of this course, and any insights you could offer would be greatly welcomed - thank you!

JP

JP,

The material in the course is now available (and slightly expanded) in book form. The title is Nothing New Under the Sun: An Introduction to Islam. The author is Paul Culp. The book is available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Borders. A reviewer for Amazon said he wouldn't vote for anyone who hadn't read this book.

psc

#6 User is offline   JP 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon

Post icon  Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

Dear psc,

Thank you for the info! I will order this book - while I am not running for office ;) I think it is important to understand all faiths

Yours in the Way,

JP :coffee:
JP

#7 User is offline   parkerlu 

• Icon

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

I found the course to be extrememly well written and enlightening. While Culp's book isn't cheap, if it is basically the class, it is well worth the bucks.

Rev. Lucinda Parker
www.unityspirit.net

#8 User is offline   Rev Kim 

• Icon
  • Interests:Chaplaincy, world religions, Zen Buddhist, human rights advocacy, environmentalism, disability rights, Native American rights, Islamophobia.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

Bumping this topic because I was interested in the Sufism course, but am concerned
I might be bored with it. Most of my friends are Muslim, so I am not sure how much I would learn from a class on
Islam. Is there a way to sample the course material or review the curriculum first?

I wish Islamic studies of some kind was offered here. I think education and open-mindedness are sorely needed today with so much misinformstion going on.

#9 User is offline   rev mark 

• Advanced Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

contact amy direct and see if she has any sample lessons on islamic studies.
she has some for quite a few courses.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic